Frame Dimensions, Drawings

gentlemen and(ladies) cm's are for dressmakers mm's are for engineers. The french came
up with the metric system ,we can put the blame there,i was told at tech school they came up with the metre by taking a line through paris from the north pole to the equaror
10,000 to get km's they got it wrong!!!it's 12,713.6km ,if they used 1m=1yard they would have been closer and the metric system would have equaled the imperial lol,
i reall do like the metric system as most things tie together,distance,mass,volume and even indercated power that an engine can put out kw

In 79 they had 3 models. The standard, a special and a special II.
The standard had spoke wheels, drum brakes on the rear, side hinge seat.
The Special had mags with disc brake rear, seat tipped up from the rear and lifted off.
The Special II was a combonation of parts from the standard and special.
They did this for a couple years. This phenomenum confuses lots of people.
Kinda like they had extra parts left over after making the standards and Specials, put the parts together and called it a Special II

That's not quite right, the Special 2 spoke wheels have the 16 rear drum and 19 front and the rims were alloy but had a different profile than the mud-catcher Standard rims then they changed to chrome 16/19 spoke rims. the 79SE and Special2 had the hinged seat, the slip on seat was on the 80SG mag wheels and the 80G (Special 2) spoke wheels and later models

I want to try an extended swingarm on my '75 and re-do the seat loop (brat-style) to achieve a single seat soft tail, but with the contours of a rigid frame. This way, I can use either a girder or springer front, and not have to mess with the rake angle. I can use these drawings as a guide for some detailed sketches. Thanks!

Back in the seventy's we (the US of A) were in the process of switching to the metric system, schools were teaching it, companies and industry were changing over. RR stopped it cold.

Leslie, no but I wish I did! It would be cool if someone could convert and scale the images as DXF files. I don't know how to do that.

I just installed Corel Draw Graphiks Suite 11. There is one feature called CorelTrace and I just tried it on the standardframe, but I´m not content with the result

That DXF seems slightly different when overlaid with the original image. Just beaware that it might not fit 100% if you are doing drawings for construction of parts, frame etc.

Also is there a version out there showing stock wheel positions, Ie forks and or swing arm in place???

EXCELLENT POST AND REFERENCE!!

This confirms what I had suspected, observed, and measured from the bikes I have in the garage--there is essentially no difference between the Standard and Special frames, including the Heritage Special.

I have a Heritage Special that I wanted to use as a donor for a Street Tracker, but many (including Omar's manual) stated the Heritage would be a lot of trouble--it turns out this is no so. The Heritage Special is a fine platform for a conversion and in a couple of was is better as the earlier 36 spoke wheel area a direct swap due to the rear drum.

EXCELLENT POST AND REFERENCE!!

This confirms what I had suspected, observed, and measured from the bikes I have in the garage--there is essentially no difference between the Standard and Special frames, including the Heritage Special.

There are dimensional differences, notably the distance between socks and swing arm mount point, also base of frame to top of neck. The pillion foot peg mount is also different. So it depends on how exact you want to be, and what differences are important to you. Having said that I would agree you are still comparing apples with apples. Afterall they are still both XS650s.

The XS650 has had 3 frame modifications but the engine shape and size remained the same through its production (1970 to 1983) therefore any year engine can be into any one of the 3 frame types. Have I got that right! Would someone confirm that I have this right? Thanks.

Thanks Travis, billyfly1 for the great pics, I have been scouring the webnet for a couple of years for a 3d mesh of a complete XS (Lightwave 3d .lwo) but they always want the bucks, I kinda want want it partially cause It does take the time to build shit in 3d software, and I got other shit to do. but mainly to modify the mesh and pre-vis what shit will look like before doing it.
Your images may inspire me to start plugging away at building a complete 3d XS650 though .. . thanks

ps . . aren't the US and Burma (Myranmar) . . .like the last 2 countries on the planet that AREN'T metric? . .. . . just sayin' . . . .. ..whut's up with that?

Last edited:
Thanks Travis, billyfly1 for the great pics, I have been scouring the webnet for a couple of years for a 3d mesh of a complete XS (Lightwave 3d .lwo) but they always want the bucks, I kinda want want it partially cause It does take the time to build shit in 3d software, and I got other shit to do. but mainly to modify the mesh and pre-vis what shit will look like before doing it.
Your images may inspire me to start plugging away at building a complete 3d XS650 though .. . thanks

ps . . aren't the US and Burma (Myranmar) . . .like the last 2 countries on the planet that AREN'T metric? . .. . . just sayin' . . . .. ..whut's up with that?

I haven't seen any. Would love to get a proper CAD file for autocad that has drawn in CAD software of a frame, motor etc. For those exact reasons. The conversion one are ok for mock ups but not dimesionally accurate to make anything off.

The corel or illustrator conversion to DXF etc moves lines and gives you the variations.

Maybe it could be a community effort? Those that have drawn up triple trees, have blocks for wheels, have a frame drawing with the engine mount points could all post up and we can collate the files?

Anyone ever seen a full tech drawing of the fame?? I have seen the basic ones but a fully dimensioned one that could be redrawn in cad??

Back