Frame issues

So. Fiddling with motorcycle bits today. Messing with the mess....I mean the frame a little. Hit the area with a wire wheel and grinder to clean it up a little and took some new pictures of both sides. Was in the process of leveling it up to plumb bob it and lost interest. If I had complete confidence in the frame I wouldn't have posted this up to begin with. I needed opinions and I got them.

So.....new question.

Since this frame is probably hosed, and really not important if I chop it at this point, is there a way for me to confirm the rest of the frame is straight for a hard tail?

Even though I was looking for something cafe(ish), I am not completely opposed to a bobber. I was going to make one eventually anyway. I realize it may be cheaper to buy a new frame (with a title), I'm just exploring all options and wondering what options I do have this this thing. It is already titled and registered in my name.

In the mean time, it has lit a fire under my rear to get some pictures ready for an XS2 selloff. At least the parts I wasn't going to use anyway.

Thanks again for the input.

Edward

Last edited:
How about all the other chops here? Somebody's gotta have the frame section they cut off their bike still floating around in their garage. Since they eliminated the swing arm, shock mount, and seat loop, wouldn't it be (relatively) simple to do some plug welds and replace the affected section of your frame? That way, you've retained your VIN, and you'll know for sure that your repair is sound. Any portion of that rear suspension "triangle" that looks 'sketchy' can be cut out and replaced with the 'leftovers' of somebody else's project, the frame can be refinished so the repair is virtually invisible, and the 'leftover's previous owner gets a couple bucks for something he would have just thrown in the scrap bin. And cheaper than a new frame...

Plenty of untitled frames about. Buy one for next to nothing and weld your titled neck on. Solid and safe frame, (depending on your welding), and peace of mind. That's what i would do, and use the bent frame for a weather vane

Honestly I have thought of this myself. I have contacted David Bird (great guy btw) about going the hardtail route. If I go down this road, that is who I will use, but I haven't decided yet. Although I like the idea of going the bobber route.....eventually.....I wanted to go a more cafe style now. i almost chopped the back end off anyway, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

My first course of action is still going to be to check to see if the rest of the frame is straight. I think it may be. David seems to think it may have been rear ended at one point. Didn't have any alignment issues removing the engine. Got the shell put back together to throw back in to double check.

I'd probably be better off finding an untitled frame and just attaching the neck to it. I think welding on the rear end from a chopped bike would be too problematic. Either way I go, I will have the frame welded for me. David will do my frame if I go hardtail and there is a local welding place that deals with custom bikes that I will go to if I go the other route.

Back