Frame

Hi all
Quick question is the 1977D frame the same as the 1981 frame and will everything would swap over ok

Cheers
There's minor differences... rear peg mounts, side cover mounts... seat mounts and other odds and ends... but yeah, all the big pieces, engine, forks, swingarm etc...all will swap.

I am not sure about the 77D, but on my 80G the frame and engine serial numbers match. So if you plan on rebuilding to sell as a 1977 model just be aware. Just curious, but why do you want to swap frames?

define everything? The biggest functional difference is the top rear shock mounts are forward and down about 3/4", changes angle but length is very close. Electrical mounts are different, coils, voltage regulator, TCI.

Seat and seat mounts, and side covers and side cover mounts are completely different.
What is your goal?

The '77 frame is referred to as a Standard or by some as a Roadster frame. The '81 would be a Special. There are those that prefer the look of one over the other and then there are those that could care less......picture the bobber/chopper crowd as the 'care less'.

Nostalgia is subjective but nostalgia is what pointed me towards the Standard. Nostalgia could point another to the Special. If you're going for a stock look then there's a lot of tinsel that won't swap, but the main ingredients will.
Tinsel = little shit that dresses up the Christmas tree.......

81 had a rear Mag drum brake. The swing-arm and braking system are the same. Prefer the 77 swing-arm as it has the retaining blocks that can be removed so the axle slides out the back of the swing-arm

Back