FrankenChop Build

grepper

fiddle futzer
Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to my next build. My fist bike was a lightly restored stock 1980 xs650 Special, next I built a 1979 Special Bobber ("Red Rocket"), then I did a frame off full restore of a 1978 Standard model ("Green Goddess"). Going with my pattern, Stock-Custom-Stock-Custom, I'm building a 70s style rat chopper. To start, I'm calling her FrankenChop. Frakenstien: because it's being built from a bunch of different year xs650s, other bikes, and custom parts. Chop: because... well.. you can guess a chopper.
In the 70s chopper style, it will have an extended springer front end with long pull back handle bars, goose necked, drop seat hard tail. I also plan to have forward controls, with a suicide shift/foot clutch. Of course, a tall sissy bar and some Captain America style exhaust. Not your modern wide tire chopper, but the stock 18 rear and a front 18 inch drum brake wheel from an xs400.
Rat, because I don't plan on spending any money on fancy paint and powder coating. Bare steel, maybe some rust, and I have a Hodaka Ace chrome tank for it.

One of the doner bikes is a 1972 xs650 I picked up a couple of years ago for $200.
Image045.jpg

It may look good in the picture, but was a real mess. The motor ran like a top and I put that in my bobber. Under those bent and cut side covers was a real crappy cut out and welded in battery box. I'm really only using the titled neck and rear wheel off this bike. The rest was sold on eBay.
As for the engine. Well, I had two bad engines to work with. One a 80 with a bent valve and the other was a 79 with a holed, rather exploded, piston. I was strictly planning on using the 80 engine, but when I split the case I found some knocked off teeth on the gears.
Last weekend I actually got started on working toward building the engine. The Case, jugs and head are off the 80 engine, but the transmission gears are out of the 79.
photobucket-5189-1326805748742.jpg

photobucket-5377-1326805710820.jpg

photobucket-6282-1326805796215.jpg

Yes, that's a Cat Litter bucket the second pick. It made a great stand when the bottom end was upside down. I spend a lot of time yesterday (had MLK day off) checking out blow up pictures of the bottom end, reading and making sure it was put together right.
As for the top end... A couple of years ago I picked up a Weisco 750 kit off of eBay. I had a local machinist put the sleeves in and clean things up for me.
Piston Pic
photobucket-1458-1325956880641.jpg

I also spend last Sunday porting the head with my Harbor Freight dremel tool a variety of different grinding and flapper wheels from the local tool store. Of course, I also lapped the valves.
Oh yeah, I'm also doing a battery-less PMA setup, and probably a Pamco ignition system.
Like a lot of build threads we see on here, it will go on for a long time. I work full time, plus have a second part time job and two kids. So finding long blocks of time to work on this will be challenging. After I get the engine done, I plan on taking my frame off to some local builders for some welding.

Last edited:
Did you put new oil seals in the bottom end? Checked the wear on the connecting rods and scoring on the flywheels? If you haven't you might want to re-split the cases and do so. Its a small investment for a true leak-proof motor that will last for many years to come.

Well last weekend my kids were with their mom and my wife went off to visit her grandma so I had so fee time to work on my motor again.
First I checked my ring gap and luckily everything was in specs. I installed my rings making sure to stagger the gaps as indicated in my manual.
I tried sliding the pistons in, pushing the rings in as in I am Carbon's video with a Popsicle stick.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14023
I just couldn't get those oil rings in so I ran off to autozone and got myself a piston ring compressor ($14). Got them in just fine after that.
I started putting the head on and about half way down I just couldn't get it to fit. Then I noticed I had it backwards. Crap :banghead: So I started over again, pulling the clips and pins out again, put the the pistons back in the sleeves and assembled again the right way. With some work I got the jugs on. Next the head.
I forgot to mention above I'm using a new endless chain. So previously when I assembled the lower end, I had to split the tensioner, like suggested (http://www.650motorcycles.com/assembly1.html). I had a long string tied to the chain also so I could feed it through. I put a little RTV on the head gasket as in I am Carbon's top end video too and put the head on with the new gasket. Next fed the cam though the chain from the right, with a lot of checking I have everything lined up TDC.
photobucket-5973-1328028803752.jpg

Got the bearings in too.
photobucket-3089-1328028736248.jpg

Used some Yamabond and then put the head top on.
This whole process took me a few hours. I really took my time, making sure everything was just right.
So that nothing got in there I covered the whole top end with plastic.
photobucket-2315-1328028712571.jpg

photobucket-6445-1328028692979.jpg

Next I plan to set the cam chain tension, set my valve lash, put the clutch back on...
I'm looking forward testing compression and being able to run the motor on the bench.

Back