Fresh 650 rebuild runs horrible

06whtsti

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to the xs650 game but I have been working on cars and bikes for years. I just finished up an 82 xs650 hardtail chopper/bobber. Everything is new! Heres the list. Mikes xs keihin carb kit, boyer brandson ignition, full rebuild, rings, pistons lapped valves, timing chain, gaskets ect.... the fuel tank is brand new. I fired up the bike a couple weeks ago set the timing and carbs and the thing ran great. I have put about 20 miles on it but the morning it started cutting out under and kind of acceleration, Is it time to re-torque (head bolts) and re-adjust everything ( valve/timing chain)???
Any help would be much apprietiated.

If everything else is up to snuff the PWK's bring headaches of their own.
For the sake of tuning a newly freshened motor I would't throw those on top of the mix unless you are really familiar with them.

re-torque head, adjust cam chain, i bet that will get it running smooth again. check the valves if you like.

Hey guys thanks for the tips. I went through and re-torqued everything, adjusted the valves and the cam chain tensoner but the problem was just a loose ground off of my ignition box. I put some loctite on the grounding screw and it seems to be good.

Back