Fresh top end, need a go to Oil??

xscessivecompulsive

Live 2 Ride, Ride 2 Live
Reaction score
Hey fellas, so I just rebuilt my top end and for the break in period installed straight 30. Ive got about maybe 8 to 10 hours on it and was figuring it was time to switch out the oil and go to a longer term oil! So I know this has been discussed around here but what is the best and most dependable oil to run in these engines?? Thanks in Advance!!

XsC

Thanks CDNTX, Ive read on here that alot of guys are running the Rotella Diesel, do they make both the 10w-40, and 20w-50? And is one more preferred over the other or are they both just as good??

XsC

I have used 10W40 diesel oil and it was fine. I have used Castrol 20W50 motorcycle oil and I now use Pennzoil 20W50 motorcycle oil. The 20W50 oil quiets down the tappets as compared to 10W40. Keep away from automotive "energy saving" oil..........too slippery for the clutch.

Don't forget to recheck the torque on the head studs after your re-build.

I recently switched to Rotella, I think it's the best choice for an XS. I can feel the difference in the clutch, that's a pretty dramatic difference. Personally I've always preferred 10-40, but I live in Central Ca, it never gets really cold here, and only really hot for a few weeks in the summer.

DLD1

I would recommend against castrol as it is too slippery. Valvoline 20w50 motorcycle oil has been the best i've used. Very very good lubrication and life. I get nearly 2k miles between changes and the clutch loves it.

Most deisel oil is a 15w40. Most any oil that is motorcycle specific is ok to use. If you look on the back of the jug there is a list of ratings. If it has a JASO MA rating, that means it is tested and approved for wet clutches, the kind in the XS650. Some deisel oils don't have this rating. I currently run Valvoline 20w50 motorcycle oil. Get it at the parts store. About $5 a qt. The bike runs well on it and the clutch likes it.

Back