Front and Rear Wheel Removal - Should I Do It Myself?

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got new tires in the mail today. My current tires have pretty much had it. Sidewalls are cracking. Trying to figure out if I should take the wheels off myself or have someone else do it and then mount the tires. How much of a pain in the ass is removal of both the front and rear wheels? Is there a step-by-step guide anywhere here on the forum that I just haven't ran across in my search?

Thanks,
Brock

Yes, take the wheels off yourself. Just undo the nuts and pull the axles out........very easy. You can use some blocks of wood to support the frame prior to pulling the front wheel. Chain needs to come off for the rear wheel removal.

Take the wheels to a motorcycle shop and let then install the new tires. That's what I do, because I don't have the tools to change tires.

Be careful with the speedometer drive gear on the front wheel. It can easily fall off when removing the wheel and be damaged. Just set it aside when you remove the wheel. Good time to clean and regrease the speedo drive.

Last edited:
Thanks retiredgentleman. After looking at thhe exploded view of the wheels I wasn't sure if it was something I was going to want to do. You made it sound easy enough. I'll give it a go this week.

I put mine on the center stand, then removed the rear wheel, then removed the front wheel, with a bottle jack under the front drain plug. Then put a concrete block with a 2x4 on it under the forks, and an extra 1x4 under the side without the fork cap. Last step prob, not necessary but it seemed like the right thing to do... It wants to drop to the front with both wheels off, amd on the center stand

I actually have a jackstand I can use to support the front end. I'll just position it under the crossmember right in front of the engine. It looks solid as hell so I shouldn't have any problems. The front end is light enough anyway and the 2-ton jackstand I have will certainly be sufficient.

Once you pull the front wheel, wedge something in between the brake pads so you don't inadvertently squeeze the brake lever and push the pads together. They're a bitch to pry back apart, lol.

Yes, or put a "flag" on the lever. After you put the front wheel back on, before you take it off the stand, pump the lever a couple of times, so you'll have a front brake.

If you're careful with the chain you won't have to remove the left cover.

once u get the tires off the bike i let the air out and use a razor knife to cut the tire off
along the rim. then use a side grinder to cut the bead off . just becarefull not to damage the rim. get new tires and tubes and they go on pretty easy. using a little soapy water

Once you pull the front wheel, wedge something in between the brake pads so you don't inadvertently squeeze the brake lever and push the pads together. They're a bitch to pry back apart, lol.

Good point.

Yes, or put a "flag" on the lever. After you put the front wheel back on, before you take it off the stand, pump the lever a couple of times, so you'll have a front brake.

If you're careful with the chain you won't have to remove the left cover.

I'm probably going to drain the front brake fluid and install the braided stainless line that I've ordered from mikes. I'll have to bleed the system anyway. Figured I'll do all of this before I put the wheels back on so it's just done and over with. Want to be ready to get back on the road as soon as the weather turns nice. This cold weather is my opportunity to get all this done.

Removing the left cover isn't that big of a deal for me as I plan to take a good look at my main sprocket seal. I think it's leaking a bit (just replaced it last fall). There is a good chance I installed the big nut backwards (as I understand there is a right and wrong way to install it).

once u get the tires off the bike i let the air out and use a razor knife to cut the tire off
along the rim. then use a side grinder to cut the bead off . just becarefull not to damage the rim. get new tires and tubes and they go on pretty easy. using a little soapy water

I don't think I'll be the one removing and mounting the tires. I'll jsut get the wheels off and take it to a local bike guy and have him mount/balance them for me. Then I can just slap them back on and get going.

Thanks for all the advice guys!!:thumbsup:

...I don't think I'll be the one removing and mounting the tires. I'll jsut get the wheels off and take it to a local bike guy and have him mount/balance them for me...

yeah but if you cut the tires off yourself you wont have to pay a shop the "tire disposal fee" that they charge. And believe me, a lot of those shops (not to say you deal with an unscrupulous dealer/shop) dont exactly follow the letter of the law when it comes to disposing and recycling tires... Just a thought :thumbsup:

I discovered a helpful trick for installing those.

So what's the trick...besides someone else doing it? :laugh:

It sure looks straight forward to me. Drain the system, remove the old lines and install the new. Bleed and ride then enjoy. Did I miss something?

There is the "personal satisfaction" from doing a job myself as well as the joy of turning wrenches.

yeah but if you cut the tires off yourself you wont have to pay a shop the "tire disposal fee" that they charge. And believe me, a lot of those shops (not to say you deal with an unscrupulous dealer/shop) dont exactly follow the letter of the law when it comes to disposing and recycling tires... Just a thought :thumbsup:

Noted. Haven't had any dealings with local dealers/shops as I've done all the work so far myself. See the post immediately above. Personal satisfaction from doing stuff myself. I believe in doing as much as I can when I'm capable. No sense paying someone else good money when I can do it myself. There is a point, however, that sometimes it is easier or more convenient to have it done for me. Instances that require special tools like wheel balancers is a good example.

^^ Agreed, Im not suggesting that you attempt to tackle the mount and balance, I was just suggesting that you take the wheels to the dealer/shop without tires so you dont have to pay a tire disposal fee when the dealer is just gonna chuck the old rubber in his dumpster.

So what's the trick...besides someone else doing it? :laugh:

Well, it makes some sense to let somebody change your tires, as you explained, but there's no excuse for not doing your own hoses. :)

People have trouble getting them routed the way they want them. Here's the trick. On one end, just bolt it up however you want. On the other end loosen the banjo and pull the black plastic cover back to reveal a steel barrel. Put a bolt though the second banjo and tighten it some, and then twist the hose however you want it. Then hold the steel barrel with pliers while you tighten the banjo nut down. That will hold the hose twisted any way you had it twisted. Then slide the black plastic sheath back down over the barrel.

Buy a C clamp, makes it lots easier

Got the rear wheel off last night. It was easier than I was making it out to be. Took off a few things that didn't need to be taken off. Now I know how to do it though. Hopefully I'll get a chance to work on the front today.

There's a combination spacer/dust cover on the sprocket side that covers the grease seal. It's probably slightly stuck in place but can easily fall out if the wheel is being moved around without the axle in it. You may want to pull that out and keep it at home so the shop doesn't lose it on you.

So What do YOU do with the tires you take off?

If you are putting on new brake lines you want to R&R the caliper and MC too. If they haven't been done they are full of guck, see little bill's recent how to thread.

There's a combination spacer/dust cover on the sprocket side that covers the grease seal. It's probably slightly stuck in place but can easily fall out if the wheel is being moved around without the axle in it. You may want to pull that out and keep it at home so the shop doesn't lose it on you.

Found it 5twins. Thanks for the heads up on this. I'd hate to have to go scour the internet or a boneyard for the right part after it gets lost.

I think what I'm going to do is just a local guy (who doesn't particularly like working on anything except Harleys) do the mounting and balancing. He should have the appropriate tools. If absolutely necessary I'll deal with tire disposal. I think my county dump accepts a couple tires per year from residents. If not then there are a couple other options. One of which is a place up the road that grinds tires up for playgrounds and such. Maybe they'll take them. Otherwise I'll figure something out.

Back