Front axle question

xs650tony

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I swaped out my wheels for spoked rims and everthing was pretty straight forward... put the axle in and question is how tight do I put on the axle nut if I go really tight the wheel doesnt want to spin (front wheel), but I dont want it to be too loose. Should the top hat spacer on the nut side spin or stay in place. Thanks ahead of time!

If the wheel won't spin when you tighten the axle, you're missing some parts, internal spacers probably, and you can't run the wheel that way.

Did you replace the wheel bearings? Double-check to be certain that the bearing shells are fully seated into the hub.

If the internal spacer between the bearings (inside the hub) is loose, the bearings are not properly inserted. Don't try to press them in by applying force to the inner race, or with the axle.

Like 5twins says, if the internal spacer is missing or incorrect, there is no correct axle tightness that will work. I'm not entirely sure, (I'm sure somebody here will know), but perhaps the inner spacers are not interchangeable between spoked and cast wheels?

Back