Front caliper locked up.

82xs650

Legion of Doom
Reaction score
Why did my front caliper lock up? I was riding, then all of a sudden it smelled like burning and my bike was acting strange like there was a clutch issue. After pushing it up on the sidewalk, I threw it on the centerstand and the front wheel was locked up. So, I called my buddy who came with some tools and I loosened the bleeder screw and it released the pressure and came right off. Why would this be happening?

Thanks,
Nick

There are 2 small holes between the MC and reservoir. One lets fluid into the system when you apply the brake, the other lets it return to the reservoir when you release the brake. Sounds like your return hole is plugged. Common problem when someone tries to ride a 30+ year old bike without thoroughly cleaning the brake components first. This means a complete disassembly and cleaning, not just a fluid flush.

I had a rear caliper do that on a KTM dual sport. It had been dragging and I believe it heated the fluid until it expanded. It just needed a good cleaning.

If it does it when hot but frees up when cold, that means the fluid is contaminated with water. The water expands when it gets hot and applies the brake.

alright game plan is pull the caliper apart to make sure it is worthy of a rebuild. If it is then order kits for master and caliper and clean the em real good. Good plan?

If they're not leaking, you may not need rebuild kits, just a thorough cleaning. In particular on the caliper, make sure to clean all the crust out of the square sided o-ring groove. Build up in this groove is the main cause of caliper sticking. You may find rust and pitting on the piston. Once pressurized, the piston moves very little. As long as the area that moves through the seal is good, you won't need a new piston.

I got it apart and the piston was in immaculate shape, zero pitting. There was some crud and I cleaned it out. I also realized that the caliper slide was stuck pretty good so I took out the slide and the rubber spacer that is fits into and cleaned that with some emry cloth. Then I stuck the rubber back in and put some caliper lube on the slide and it moves good now. Went for a ride and it seems to be okay now. Thanks.

I think I have said this before, but I have five motorcycles and the first thing I did to each of them when they came through the garage door was to rip out the master cylinder and hoses and throw them in the trash then get a new master cylinder and SS hoses and a kit for the calipers.

The caliper can be rebuilt with a kit because it is a very simple device and you can see all of the moving parts (1).

The hoses develop crud on the inside that breaks loose with flexing and the crud floats to the master cylinder where it can plug up the tiny holes.

The master cylinder is the most complicated of the brake components and it can have internal issues that you can't see. I also do not trust that a rebuild kit for the master cylinder will be the same quality and fit as the factory originals, so I throw the master cylinder in the trash. I don't even save the brake lever because I had one of those break on me as well. Not a good feeling.

Now when I squeeze the brake lever the bike comes to a nice controlled, firm stop...:thumbsup:

Note: I do not sell master cylinders! :laugh:

Now...the rant.....:banghead:

This is well into the beginning of the riding season and every year members will show up on the site with pictures of their winter project. They spent $300 to have the tank painted. $200 to powder coat the frame. Another $500 on various parts and goodies, and then they come here and ask where they can find cheap brakes, chains and tires! :wtf:

Like I said above, I start with the safety stuff and if I have any money left over I might look at the rest of the bike. I change my drive chains every 2 years. New master cylinder and brake lines. Replace the tires before they are bald and buy good quality tires.

So, please spend the money on the safety stuff so you can stick around and maybe teach your grandchildren how to ride a motorcycle....:bike:

Last edited:
Back