Front End Help

Broski

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a 1982 XS about 2 weeks ago. I am looking at changing out the bars, but am running into some issues. Just went and measured the current drag bars that are on the bike and they are 1". I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I know (at least I think I do) that the XS had 7/8" bars like most metric bikes. There are what look to be 2" risers already on the bars.

How would I be able to tell if the trees, and the rest of the front end are stock XS parts or if they are something else. I would hate to basically start all over on the front end, but not sure what I can do to figure this all out. I would definitely prefer to run 7/8" bars on it, but my mind is a bit fried. What are you guy's thoughts? Is is even something to worry about? I know the bars, and other control parts are much cheaper as 7/8" vs the 1". Just don't know which way to go.

Here are some. Let me know if you need more. Also reaching out to the previous owner to see what he can tell me. Screenshot_20201109-173829_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20201109-173825_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20201109-173821_Facebook.jpg 20201120_210004.jpg 20201120_205945.jpg 20201120_205928.jpg 20201120_205915.jpg

Yeah, that's a stock upper triple. Shouldn't be a problem putting it back to the stock 7/8" bars.

Thanks Jim. In your opinion, would there be a benefit for one vs the other when talking about 1" vs 7/8"
Been at least 30 yrs since I owned a Hardly D So I really can't comment on the difference. ;)

Is the gas tank held on with a radiator hose clamp ??

tim

Welcome aboard @Broski The major front end parts aside from the handlebar risers appear to be 82 XS650 correct.
The stock front fender is reinforced and acts as a fork brace. Just a heads up.
The good news is the font brake is there. I see the frame neck bracing has been removed.
This bike should be thought of as for "sedate riding", it might get ugly wiggly under serious loading like bombing a corner or hitting some rough pavement.
Can't tell if the "head" engine mount is in place or not.

I used to have a 650 with Harley risers and 1 inch bars very similar to yours. No advantage of 1 inch bars unless you wanted to run wires internally or if you prefer harley type grips.

The larger bars are a bit stiffer. You might feel less vibration in the rips and see it in the mirrors.
Leo

Just purchased a 1982 XS about 2 weeks ago. I am looking at changing out the bars, but am running into some issues. Just went and measured the current drag bars that are on the bike and they are 1". I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I know (at least I think I do) that the XS had 7/8" bars like most metric bikes. There are what look to be 2" risers already on the bars.
How would I be able to tell if the trees, and the rest of the front end are stock XS parts or if they are something else. I would hate to basically start all over on the front end, but not sure what I can do to figure this all out. I would definitely prefer to run 7/8" bars on it, but my mind is a bit fried. What are you guy's thoughts? Is is even something to worry about? I know the bars, and other control parts are much cheaper as 7/8" vs the 1". Just don't know which way to go.

Hi Broski,
oh dear, you did buy someone else's dream bike, eh?
Bike still has stock ignition or did the dreaded PO drink the PMA koolade?
Pity about the hardtail, too. Your spine will hate you when you ride it.
Nothin' actually wrong with 1" bars & controls and their high cost ain't an issue as they came with the bike.
Keep 'em at zero cost or sell 'em to the Harley guys to part-finance 7/8" replacements; you choose.

Yes, the front of the tank is held on by a very large hose clamp. Whoever welded the bung on the fron did a shit job, and per the previous owner the tank has been running like that for a year plus. The front fender has been removed, and will likely not be replaced. Living only about 5 min from the beach, this bike was purchased as a beach cruiser/bar hopper and will not be ridden like a bat outa hell. Debating a Springer front end.

Anyone have any recommendations on where to get some semi-custom extended cables? Being that I am running the dual 34mm Mikuni carbs, I have been struggling to find extended cables for the taller bars I am swapping to. The only place I have found was MotionPro. Between the 4 week lead time and the pretty high cost I was quoted, I would like to keep looking.

Back