Front end Swap (guru needed)

Robert Reed

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Alright guys, I know these questions come up a lot but I've come across a complete (and straight) front end for a great price but I can't find too many details around it.

The front end in question came off a 2008 Yamaha FZ6. It has right side up forks, wheel, brakes, fender, both trees, and best of all the top tree has bar clamps.

They appear very similar to the older R6 forks but I can't find dimensional specs, probably don't know the right place to look.

Anyway, if I were to make the swap I would want to do it in the easiest way possible by ordering a conversion steering stem from cognito moto and bearing kit. I have reached out to them and they weren't able to tell me if they have one that would work or not.

So, I guess my question is, does anyone know if the stem on the R6 was ever the same as the FZ6 or know how to get that information?

Pic for reference
515%2BISEN8eL._SX342_.jpg

Hi Robert,
I'm no Guru but my alternate personality Mr. Bodger reckons your stock 'tree stem & bearings will work OK
The stem just needs grinding & press work to remove the XS650 lower 'tree plate and adapters made
plus pressing &/or welding to fit the XS650 stem to the replacement fork's 'tree plates.

Back