Front Fork Questions

Fastoz

XS650 Member
Reaction score
OMG. So I finally finished polishing the front forks and they look good. First off bike is a 1979 titled bike I have also verified this by the vin. So talking with people the triple tree is a late model to because it has 2 bolts on the lower half of the triple tree. The problem I am running into is that the All Balls Racing seal kit part #56-175. I have the seals are to big to fit in the lower piece of the fork tube. However the inner diameter on the seals fits the upper tube perfectly which measures 34mm. Is it possible that these are earlier model forks on a later model bike?

I think that year had 35mm tubes......May be wrong but pretty sure. 35x48x11 is a pretty common dimension, look on the seal itself and on old take-out piece. If you have OK wipers or use accordion gaiters you could get the oil seal only from a bearing supply house if any local to you.

I suppose it's possible. Later model fork tubes should be 35mm diameter. What do the damper rods look like? 35mm damper rods would look like one of these two .....

y8A9CaH.jpg

fqDSdgz.jpg

34mm damper rods have a different style "head" on top. Have a look at posts 84 and 98 .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/how-to-rebuild-xs650-forks-install-lowering-kit.5537/page-5

Thanks for the info. Looking at that other thread I was able to determine the forks on my bike are off a 76. Which is weird because I did not think that 34mm and 35 mm forks where interchangeable between triple tree. Guess I was wrong.

Can make anything happen...........Shave a bit off the 35mm Triple so the bolt can close the gap on the triple for the smaller 34mm tube.............seen, (on here), a 35mm fork tube jammed into a 34mm triple............

Not recommending either of these solutions.

Can make anything happen...........Shave a bit off the 35mm Triple so the bolt can close the gap on the triple for the smaller 34mm tube.............seen, (on here), a 35mm fork tube jammed into a 34mm triple............

Not recommending either of these solutions.
Agree with enough force it's surprising what can be done, not safe but possible!

If not for people like that the Darwin Awards would have noting to award!
https://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2018.html

Back