Front Fork Rebuild

Greg-NWO

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a thread or website that has pictures of a fork rebuild? Specifically for the forks on a 74 tx650.

I have the parts diagrams but they are pretty low quality and can't quite make out the order of all the pieces. (specifically where the washer like part goes that has holes spaced evenly around the circumference.

Any help is appreciated. I've been searching for quite a while now. I can find a ton of pics of different parts of the internals but nothing detailing how they go back together.

Do you have a Clymers manual? It has clear breakdowns of the forks. Page 126 is the 74 fork.

Do you have the forks apart? I cannot recall any washer with holes around the circumfrence. These forks are pretty well the same as most forks from up until damn near present day (unless you're looking at inverted forks).

If you have the forks apart, can you take a picture of the part in question?

While it looks like there's a lot of pieces, it's really a pretty straightforward teardown/rebuild.

k-tx650axs650b-tx650a-1974-1976_bigyau0774f-9_79aa.gif

Posted via Mobile

I'll take a pic tonight and post it up so you can see what I'm talking about.

I don't have a clymer manual at the moment.

Here's a couple pics... first one shows all the parts and second is just a closer view of the parts I can't seem to identify in the parts diagrams.

The upper part of the fork I have figured out, it's just the lower section. The bottom bolt is not shown but I know that threads into the larger peice.

I took these apart about 2 years ago... memory is a little fuzzy now :laugh:

Attachments

• IMG_3991.JPG
    IMG_3991.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_3995.JPG
    IMG_3995.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 205
Are you sure that it's an XS650 fork? in you smaller pic the clip looks to be the clip for the seal. Right size anyway. I haven't torn a lot of forks apart, but from what I have, those parts don't look like 650 parts.

XSLeo, that's kind of what I was thinking. I have not had a set of 34mm forks apart, but I haven't ever seen a holed washer in any forks that I've torn down. I searched for a while for pictures of someones fork rebuild on the 34mm forks but didn't have any luck.

The picture with all the parts laid out - Heres how I think they correspond with the yamaha parts diagram.

(your # -> yamaha #)

1 - 7
2 - ?
3 - ?
4 - 18 (oring?)
5 - 16
6 - 26
7 - attached to 9
8 - 8

hope this helps. If someone knows anything about the holed washers - hopefully they chime in.

Posted via Mobile

The thought had crossed my mind.... They came on the bike when I bought it 5 years ago or so... the bike is a very low mileage 650 so I just assumed they would be original....as far as I know they are but that may not be I guess.

Everything else appears to be XS650, just not those washers.

Posted via Mobile

Hmmm I wonder if I got those mixed in somehow... If they didn't come from the forks then I'm not sure where they came from.

Anyway, I will leave them out and continue the rebuild with the parts that are on the diagram. Thanks for the help!

Someone might have been doing some experimenting back in the day with those washers... :shrug:

From the pic it looks like a stock fork. The holed washers may be a po's attempt to fix a problem. I might try assembling them with the right parts. You might be able to find them by shopping around.

My 74 Tx has the exact same damper rods with the same "holed washers". Makes me think it's not just a PO shadetree "improvement", but I likewise am having a very hard time finding out more info.

Back