Front forks TOO stiff, cut new springs or add taller spacer to old?

blackbetty

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
SO I have the 34mm forks, and when I got the completed bike on the ground they bottomed out with the factory springs.

The forks are lowered 2" using Hugh's kit and have 6oz of fork oil in each leg.

I decided it's a good time to replace the springs, so I bought the mikes progressive springs, part #27-1087.

These springs were substantially longer than the factory setup, which even with the 2" drop required a 2" spacer, and still the springs did not protrude past the top of the fork tube.

With the new springs, they protrude a good 2" past the top of the fork tubes. I compressed them and got the caps installed, but once on the bike, damn these things are like pogo sticks. They hardly even compress, let alone provide any necessary front end sag.

So, do I put the old springs back in with a larger spacer, or do I simply cut off some of the tight coils on the new springs until I find a good rate?

I understand cutting a spring essentially stiffens them, but as they are now, they are so packed I'm surprised they're not binding up. Will cutting the new springs help solve my problem?

Thanks for any feedback.

Back