Front M/C

David Toll

Reliving my youth?
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have turned my attention away from the charging/one cylinder issue to focus on the front brake. Got the back brake working in 20 mins but the front eludes me. I have spent days dismantling, reassembling, installing rebuild kits, etc and gotten nowhere - doesn't pump fluid. Broke it down again this morning to check that the umbrellas were correctly installed and noticed two things,
a) there is no washer between the cir-clip and the M/C inlet. There wasn't one originally and the videos I have watched don't show one but, there is one in the kit. Should it go in?
b) the thing seems to pump fluid from the inlet hole in the bottom of the reservoir, rather than drawing it in. As the video shows it pumps rather than sucks, (no offence).
Everything else looks fine but I suppose the cylinder itself could be buggered, though I can't see how - bore is clean and not pitted and plunger is tight with no fluid leaks. The only possibility is that I enlarged the little air exchange hole when I cleaned it up but I only used a stainless steel "strand" that didn't touch the sides of the hole itself.
Any ideas??

Last edited:
So this is where I start by putting a (nitrile gloved) thumb over the banjo port where brake line connects. Bleed it out. Cover the port and let fluid out once theres pressure when you squeeze the handle, but don’t let air back in the port when you release. When you release the handle, with port blocked by your thumb, the piston should be drawing in fluid from the reservoir. Do this till you have good action, manually fill your brakes lines, then see if you can get it to pressurize.
Keep-in mind, when all bled out, fluid does not flow down the lines. It’s either pressurized or not. If there’s air in the system, it gets squeezed instead of the brake disc. Good luck!

Back