Front mag to spoked wheel

offthewall

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried swapping my front mag on my 79 chop to a 77 spoked wheel. The rotor and calliper line up good but the speedo drive won't slide in to its holder and there's about half inch of space between the speedo drive and left fork.

Anyone else know anything about this? And remedies?

It should be plug and play. Hate to ask the obvious, but you need to line up the tabs on the speedo drive before it drops in? Pictures of your gap might help. Make sure the spoke wheel is XS650 I think the XS360, 400 wheels are narrower.
We have gone around a few fork alignment problems, so again I gotta say this. Remove wheel and fender. Loosen the clamp bolts on the triples one side at a time, rotate the fork tube. The tube should turn in the triples with small effort, does the end of the lower stay in one place? (checking for a bent fork tube) If the tubes are real hard to turn, drop one side down till it's free of the top triple, it should stay in alignment with the hole in the triple and slide right back in. If it has to be forced to line up, the lower triple is bent. It's common after 40 years that someone has pronged the bike.

gggGary- Yes I made sure the speedo drive was aligned. It is possible the wheel might be for a different bike I will check serial numbers and post a pic of the spacing. I'm not sure if spacers and disks would match up on many other wheels though because they all match up on this wheel. Forks are good, the mag wheel I pulled off fits nice and flush between the lowers.

image_zps7ff7968b.jpg

image_zps0512a755.jpg

I couldn't find a serial number on the hub so I'm lost here.

It appears the hub was anodized. Make sure the CORRECT spacer is between the wheel bearings?

Just some pics of other spoke hub axle forks for reference.

txpics 003.JPG

txpics 004.JPG

Might want to compare rotor flange to rotor flange distance, seems like they are closer on the XS400 wheel.

Yes, but the reason it goes too far in is because the hub is narrower, most likely not from a 650. With the right spacer in place, and the speedo drive, stick a tape measure through the axle hole and measure the "stack". Do the same on your 650 mag. Bet you find the new wheel narrower overall.

Yeah I think it can be agreed that the wheel I got is for a different bike. The idiot I bought it off still insists it's off a 77 XS650 D The hub width is about 1/2 inch smaller than the mag.

Thanks for the input everyone

I can't on the the one side because that's the side my rotor is on and it wouldn't line up with my caliper. I don't want to have to mess with the spacing on the rotor. Solid idea though!

Yes, it's best to use the proper parts, ones that fit as they should. Motorcycles are dangerous enough without intentionally building yourself a death trap. Of course, that doesn't stop many of the "bike builders" (and I use that term VERY loosely) here from doing so, lol.

Problem solved. This wheel was from a different bike, I found a spoked wheel that was definitely from a 650 and it fits properly. Just thought would update for anyone else having the same issue.

Back