Front shocks

NP2650

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
The front shocks on my 1978 special have been modified into air shocks. I checked and there is only a couple of psi in there now. Is anyone familar with this set up? I'm wondering if it's worth keeping, or should I just going back to a stock set up.
Shock2.jpg
Shock.jpg
Any info would be appreciated.

The front shocks on my 1978 special have been modified into air shocks. I checked and there is only a couple of psi in there now. Is anyone familar with this set up? I'm wondering if it's worth keeping, or should I just going back to a stock set up.View attachment 232487View attachment 232488 Any info would be appreciated.
I have an XS1100SG. It has air caps as stock, but they aren't bussed together. I did away with it in favor of straight rate springs and RaceTech Gold Valve Emulators. All that said, I didn't find value in the air caps. You can achieve the same thing by varying the amount of oil in the forks. The air pressure stiffens the forks near the bottom of travel. I use the RaceTech tuning guide to service my XS650. @5twins has similar numbers that he uses to improve his forks.
So, if it was my bike, I would return it to stock. Make sure the free length of your springs is in spec. Several folks on here tout the "Joe Minton Mods," but I'm not qualified to speak on that.
If interested, the RaceTech valves are wonderful, but the whole set-up is expensive and fiddly getting it tuned. It certainly is not for everyone.

One more thing. leaving the air caps on there won't hurt a thing. I think 2 to 7 psi is the tuning range. I'd have to look it up to be sure.

I have had problems with the front shocks on the XS 650 ..OK mostly because the bike was crashed
I was thrown out from the MOT Inspection once -- After the inspector braked hard an the forks never sprung back.
Stayed compressed.
Many years I did not bother to have much oil in one tube because of a scratch on it.

And I don't like the current setup either .It is stiff but the road handling is good
Another set it to soft so hard breaking and throttle on --- the head shaking starts. Sometimes

So I would look into what is installed On the bike Do the read up .some modern pressurised setups is high tech and
much ... much ... much .. much ... much ... much better than stock .
Probably keep it.
If the aim is going stock keep your eyes open and buy stock on e-bay As a back up.

As Marty said: they won't hurt (unless leaking and changing stiffness) and his psi #'s are about right IIRC. They were the "hot set-up" in the 1980's aftermarket; may be worth keeping for nostalgia effect if in keeping with your goals.

I've got two '81 Honda's with air assist. Honestly can't tell the difference between air or no air. I just see it as a selling point that was used back then. About 6 to 7 PSI is what was recommended. I don't bother to add or check the pressure, just run them as is without the air.

On a race bike with a rider that could tell/use the difference between air and no air they were good. For the rest of us mere mortals it was a selling point.

Back