Front Wheel/disc free play?

Looking at the link at the beginning of this thread it appears that there was a recall regarding the rubber dampers on the rotor and the dealers were told to discard the rubbers completely.
My caliper has two bolts and two allen head bolts that are proving to be unmoveable!

I took a bunch of pics and I do not recommend trying to swap in a later wheel on the 72 forks. It could be done, but there would be some hair pulling, fussy measuring, some lathe time and thoughtful engineering of a combination of remachined spacers and parts. The 72 axle has a turned down section near the right end, the later axle will NOT directly replace it. You can't use just the sleeve as a spacer, it depends on the bearings and spacer between them to create the sandwich that the end nut draws together. Without the sleeve the RH fork lower won't hold the axle. It's all just a big can of worms.

xs2 brakes 010 (Copy).JPG
72 axle on bottom

xs2 brakes 012 (Copy).JPG

xs2 brakes 009 (Copy).JPG

xs2 brakes 007 (Copy).JPG

xs2 brakes 004 (Copy).JPG

xs2 brakes 018 (Copy).JPG

Later model

The TSB that says toss the rubbers also has you replacing the spacer between the two disk rotor carrier bearings with a "slightly longer" spacer. My read is you need to do both things or???? I would guess they found the rubber spacers ending up in the wrong place during wheel changes resulting in cocked rotors and brake pulsing.

If you can't remove the bolts holding the caliper together a new caliper assembly from mikesXs seems like good plan. AFAIK you just need to replace one stud with the bolt you already have or perhaps just use both studs and 2 nuts.

On the bolts holding the caliper together; rust buster, a rattle wrench or hand impact wrench and a BFH, alternate trying to loosen and tighten them.

Finally got the caliper apart,I left it to soak in wd40 for a couple of days and then applied a bit of heat and eventually got them free.
With regard to the rubber dampers in the front hub ( 72 xs only)
I have just bought something called SUGRU which is a moldable silicone rubber,it feels a bit like play dough,you can model it to any shape you need and leave it for 24 hours and it sets into a hard rubber piece ,I am going to give this a go and see if it provides a solution to this problem.

Finally put the front brake system all together and filled with brake juice. Rolled the thing back and forward and wondered what the free play was all about.
So I found this thread...... And I now have the same issue.

Yellowdog... did SUGRU work?. I doubt it would get thru an mot in the uk without a fix..

Going to take the front wheel out to have a close look at the problem

Yes, I looked at that thread to. I have just pulled the front wheel off again and had a good look. There are two of those rubber pads in place. But there is nothing left on the sides of the pads so I guess they are worn out.
I will put it all back together in case I messed up the first time. I only found this out today when the bike was taken outside for the first time after a rebuild.... At least the engine started and sounded ok.

Might be worth cutting some rubbers to fit and see the difference.

I put the front end back together this time I made sure that I tightened the clamp on the bottom of the left fork first with the spindle in THEN tighten the castle nut on the right fork to pull the whole lot together....

Seems much better. Much less free play. May get worse with use but for now it looks better.

Back