Front wheel offset with dual disc

Still wondering why shims are needed.
XS forks, XS caliper hangers. Having swapped those parts on 3 XS's of the same era, I've never seen a reason to shim a caliper hanger. Where is the error
:umm:

Just my :twocents:
It all starts with the wheel placement. The front wheel needs to be perfectly aligned with the rear. In a perfect world that would be done with a frame jig. Most of don't have that. It can be done somewhat with a string. Once you get the wheel where it needs to be then you hang the disks and calipers to see what needs to be done to get clearance for the fork legs. As Gary alluded to before doing that make sure the fork tubes are straight.
Again just my :twocents:

Couple pics N cricket chirps.
When reinstalling a front wheel tighten axle with nut, leave LH clamp nuts slightly loosened. Remove from stand apply brakes or use a wall /wood block to push against, pump fork up and down a few times, NOW tighten the clamp nuts, double check caliper clearance.
:twocents: To get the rotors centered in the caliper brackets. Mikes suggests shimming out the caliper brackets to center the rotor in the slot. I greatly prefer spacers for the rotors......
front brakes (1).jpg front brakes (2).jpg

front brakes (3).jpg front brakes (4).jpg

Last edited:
Back