Frying coils, Help !!!!!!!!!!!!

highroller95

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have an 83 xs650 that I rewired and bobbed. Im almost done, but keep frying coils. I have checked everything that I can and the primary windings still check good, but the secondary windings check at 30k ohms. This is the second coil that ive done this too and don't know where the problem could be. When Im trying to start the bike I am using jumper cables off of my car battery. I dont think this matters, but Im trying to list everything possible. :banghead: Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

what iggn do you have? car battery dont matter. 12 volts is still twelve volts. If you test for spark with the plug removed, are you sure the plug is grounded? If you have a ign. other than stock(even the hotter double post blak one that looks stock) that could do them in too.

I used all the stock ignition system including the cdi box and regulator. I also used the stock ignition switch. Fried the stock coil and now an aftermarket new coil from mikes xs. The stock coil was a little different from the new one, but both sparked when tested. When I test the spark im holding the plug against the exhaust flange. What causes a coil to stop working?

I also used the stock wiring harness, but stripped it down to only keep the important stuff. Could I have wired something wrong that would cause this problem? I ran most of the wiring through the frame of the bike to keep the look clean, could this have something to do with it if there was a stripped wire that is grounding? At this point im willing to try any suggestions.:wtf:

Using a car battery to jump start a motorcycle with a dead battery can be a problem if the battery is really dead. The sudden inrush of current from that giant car battery can instantly boil the tiny motorcycle battery to the point where the case will crack open. Recommend that you use safety glasses if you are going to do this.

Unhooking the motorcycle battery is not good either, because if you undo the jumper cables after the engine has started, the regulator will go nuts and drive the system voltage very high and fry everything.

I'm sure that some people have done the car jump and no battery thing without a problem. That's called "luck". Don't press it.

The best thing to do if you have a dead battery is to trickle charge it overnight and/or buy a new battery.

I have the positive and negative terminals of the bike clamped straight to the jumper cables with no motorcycle battery in the bike. Could this be the problem? I work at a bike dealership and the mechanics are all baffled. What are the typical things that would make the secondary windings read 30k ohms?

thanks

high...,

Read my previous. You may be lucky...you may be unlucky. Generally, as long as you keep the jumper cables connected, you should be alright. Note "should be". I would not do that. I would charge up the tiny motorcycle battery.

30K secondary readings are not that far out if you have 5K plug caps that each account for 5K...total 10K meaning that the coil itself is 20K. You might try a different meter.

i run my xs like you do all the time with no i'll effects. 12v is 12v. Car battery or bike battery makes no difference. I have no m/c battery right now.

As Pamcopete said voltage spikes from the car battery, especially if the car is running, can hurt the battery. It can also fry the TCI box. Your coil maybe ok and the TCI box is the trouble.

Thanks for all the replies guys,
I will take the coil to work and have a tech test it. If it does test bad im thinking to save a bunch of headache I will install petes kit to bypass the tci. Pete, can I buy the kit from you directly or do I have to go through mikesxs? I would rather buy it from you since you have taken your time to try and help me here.

thanks

There are no voltage spikes . . 12V is 12V. What there is that Pete spoke of is an amperage problem. First and foremost, amperage cannot be forced on something. If you mismatch voltage . problems. But a larger amperage source causes no problem as a device only draws what it needs; amperage is not forced. However, when you have a really dead battery, you have a device that wants a lot of amperage relatively speaking. By having a source that can supply it ( the car battery ) you will allow a large amount of amperage to "rush" in and can cause some problems with wiring, delicate electronics, etc. Hope this cleared it up.

Thanks for all the replies guys,
I will take the coil to work and have a tech test it. If it does test bad im thinking to save a bunch of headache I will install petes kit to bypass the tci. Pete, can I buy the kit from you directly or do I have to go through mikesxs? I would rather buy it from you since you have taken your time to try and help me here.

thanks

I don't carry the complete kits. I just make the PAMCO and sell it to Mike.

Mikes kits are a real bargain because they include all the other parts you need to make a complete system, and he gives you a choice of coils, from the 17-6822 @ $34 to the "Ultimate" 17-6903 @ $99 which is effectively much less in the kits.

If you have all the other parts for a complete system, then sure, buy from me!

www.yamahaxs650.com

Back