fuel cap ???

koyuga

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this a "special" cap or earlier.

What size are the 3 small screws.

What is the correct seal.

Currently using Toyota Camry thermostat seal plus o ring.

Thx.

Attachments

• 43-61020a.jpg
    43-61020a.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 97
Is this a "special" cap or earlier.
What size are the 3 small screws.
What is the correct seal.
Currently using Toyota Camry thermostat seal plus o ring.
Thx.

Hi koyuga,
it could be a Special cap or a late model Standard cap.
They look near enough the same so you can't tell from that photo
but they ain't near enough to swap between tanks.
Those 3 screws are a snare and a delusion.
To remove the rubber you have to pull the lock so the rubber thingie's
mount can swing out to let you get at the E-ring that holds the rubber's mounting plate in.
BTW, the lock itself does swap so you can use the same key.

I don't think this part is available.(seal).
Tried yambits. Didn't fit.
Am I wrong.
The photos in mikesxs don't look same.

Thx. The reason I ask about the screws is they have been misplaced during chroming.
Ta.
Hi koyuga,
so, the screws from the cap you had chromed are MIA, the cap in the photo is not your cap, it's there to show which screws you mean and you don't reckon the replacement seal in MikesXS catalog will fit in the cap that you had chromed?
But we are not done yet.
WTF style of XS650 gas cap did you get chromed, eh?
As I remember my own gas cap rebuild, the 3 screws are sheet metal screws.
And IF your cap is a late model (key enters on top front, hinge at the back) the MikesXS seal does fit.
Much has been said regarding the longevity of MikesXS rubber parts but the gas cap seal I got from them is still OK 3 years later.

Hi Fred.
My cap is exactly same as the one pictured.
I had it rechromed and the guy lost the 3 small screws . I guess I'm gonna have to head to my local screw shop to replace them.
I bought a fuel tank seal from yambits. Same as the one Mike has. But it seemed to be a bugger to fit.
So I'm currently using the Camry gasket fix.

Thx for your input.

Hi Fred.
My cap is exactly same as the one pictured.
I had it rechromed and the guy lost the 3 small screws . I guess I'm gonna have to head to my local screw shop to replace them.
I bought a fuel tank seal from yambits. Same as the one Mike has. But it seemed to be a bugger to fit.
So I'm currently using the Camry gasket fix.
Thx for your input.

Hi koyuga,
agreed that the gas cap is a puzzle to take apart and a right swine to reassemble.
The hard part is forcing the assembled seal and seal core down onto the internal spring so you can poke the snap-ring pliers and E-ring down into it's recess.
The dodgy bit is getting the lock back into place with the latch return spring in it's correct location.

Back