fuel leak at T line fitting between carbs

pjmule

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Putting bike back together after top end rebuild, it's a 83 Heritage Special with stock carbs. Has single vacuum petcock with a T fitting that feeds both carbs. T fitting seems to be leaking on both sides going into carbs. Need a new fitting? or some sealer?

Pull the carbs apart from the angle iron and top brace. Enough to pull one carb away from the other. Seperate thecarbs so you get the tee out. Trim away the plastic coating. Use 1/4 inch fuel line betwen the tee and carb bodies. Press back together carefully so the line slides over the tee and into the carbs. Keep thing lubes well so they slide together.
If you search a bit there is a thread on how to do this.
Leo

Just looked arpound a bit. Go up to the top of the page, click 650TECH, scoll down to carb section. Carb "T". Pamcopete has a grat fix.
Leo

I bought this one from Mike's http://www.mikesxs.net/product/48-0884.html leaked worse than my old one. So I did the quarter inch fuel line trick (Twice, screwed up the first time) on my old tee and have been dry for a year.

If you don't need a clamp to put it back together then you're too loose.

Ya, I tried that one as well. I had the same results.

Yes, that part from Mikes is "subject". As long as the rubber coating on the "T" is still intact, it's just a matter of squeezing the 2 carbs together tight enough so it seals. It takes a clamp of some sort ....

Fuel-T-Install.jpg

Now, I realize we can't all have these special tools we need. That's why there's a thing called a "Motorcycle Shop". You take it there, pay your money, and they fix it.

But then again, this goes all against what these lists are about (in my opinion, anyway). I see them as a way to fix your bike on your own. I know there's no teaching some people, but at least we can try.

I tried getting the T from Yamaha but the local dealer only found 1 in the entire nation and when I called that dealer I was told someone bought it earlier same day.

i bought a generic metal one from an auto store here... it's shorter, so i inserted a piece of fuel line into each carb, cut it on both sides leaving maybe 1/2" sticking past the carb bodies. Put my T in and put the carbs back together....not even press fit with a clamp and leak free for a summer of riding. the fuel line is a nice tight push into the holes on those carbs.

i bought a generic metal one from an auto store here... it's shorter, so i inserted a piece of fuel line into each carb, cut it on both sides leaving maybe 1/2" sticking past the carb bodies. Put my T in and put the carbs back together....not even press fit with a clamp and leak free for a summer of riding. the fuel line is a nice tight push into the holes on those carbs.

That's good to know. All I found at the local auto parts store was plastic Tees and none of those worked for me.

I trimmed the rubber back at each end of the tee,and found O-rings at my Yam dealer that press fit back into the holes. They were also tight on the tee. I pressed it all back together,and no leaks. That was 2 yrs. ago. The dealer even gave me the o-rings for free!!!

Back