Fuel Leak question

maximusrising

XS650 Enthusiast
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning, Folks,
On my 1983 Heritage Special I have what seems to me to be an unusual fuel leak. It isn't running too well either.
When I say not running well, I mean it starts but sometimes get a racing idle, sometimes it stalls.
So basically I have two questions:
(See photo)1. if fuel is coming out of the bottom under the generator assembly, where the heck is it coming from? I have studied the carbs under excellent lighting and its not the usual backflow out the air cleaners like when a float is stuck. 2. If my petcock rebuild isn't right can that be my problem? I need to search later on here to find a picture of how that plastic block orients in the assembly. That might be wrong (there are two ways it will reassemble and not leak) and I'm thinking there's a potential fuel and vacuum issue right there. But I'm baffled how the fuel leak is where it is.
It's a pretty steady drip, but after a while it stops. Can I run the bike with that side cover off? Should be OK right? Obviously I can't shift gears but I'm just thinking on the center stand to get it dripping gas real good.
Thank you all - have a great Sunday.
Fuel Drip.jpg

Check/smell the dipstick.

Is it over full? Does it smell like gas?

If so, your float needle stuck or failed.

Overhaul carbs, change oil, inspect petcock.

Yes you can start it with that side cover off but not advised as a rev will probably spit out the clutch pushrod and then puke oil all over your concrete drive.
damhik

Back