Fuel Leak

AKV

XS650 Member
Reaction score
He there everyone. I have a few questions for my 1979 XS650 and looking for some help. I have a leak where the hose from the tank meets the Fuel filter. I’m going to replace that hose with the 1/4” fuel hose and also replace the filter. What size is the hose that goes from the filter to the carburetor? I need to replace that as well. I’m also getting a lot of gas dripping from the carburetor. The leaking is mainly at the nipple in the pic I am pointing to. Any thoughts would be really helpful.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 186
The filter i believe is not stock
Hose clamps or some steel wire .. perhaps ???

It seems your tank, carbs, and fuel lines are all aftermarket. The original Yamaha fuel line was 6mm id.
You need to get appropriate fuel line clamps for the automotive lines you have.

Attachments

• 20210422_181942.jpg
    20210422_181942.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 143
Get the right sized hose for your fittings..........Hose should be a tight fit and not leak, if they leak they are to big......... The clips/clamps are so it cant be pulled off accidentally or if they heat up and expand due to engine run time heat.

Putting a clip on to stop a leak is asking for trouble. Cant guarantee a clip wont break, then fuel leaks are guaranteed.........Or carry a petrol rated fire extinguisher

20210422_184141.jpg

Yes, better line is a good idea. This metric semi transparent good fitting and flexible line requires neither clamps or a fire extinguisher.

View attachment 189821
Yes, better line is a good idea. This metric semi transparent good fitting and flexible line requires neither clamps or a fire extinguisher.
Where do you get that fuel line? I buy Tygon from the local small engine shop in 1/4” and 3/16” sizes. I think the 6mm would be better in some areas. I like the semi transparency in your line.

Well, it's not Tygon, Fortunately I work at a very modern manufacturing facility which creates as much "in house" as possible and is equipped with a great variety of things.
The generous owner encourages the employees to experiment.
Very fortunate that way.

About the best stuff I ever used was the O.E.M. style thin wall line that MikesXS used to sell years ago. It was absolutely wonderful and an exact replica of the original Yamaha line. Unfortunately, they don't sell it anymore, even though their description says it's the same stuff. It's not, it's just plain 1/4" fat walled line now, and to add insult to injury, it's absolute shit now, splitting within a year. It's got to be about the worst fuel line I've ever used in like 50 years of riding, lol.

But I have a new hope now - that new place, YamahaXS650.com, lists this thin wall O.E.M. type line and I'm hoping it really is the old style stuff MikesXS used to sell. They even sell it in 25' rolls. I'm very tempted to get one because if it is the good old stuff, I'd be in fuel line heaven, lol.

Thanks everyone. Does anyone know where to find this exact idle screw? You will see that one of them snapped. I can twist it out with my hand. The other pic is of the other carb with the screw still intact.

Attachments

• ABFB5B6A-24C7-47F3-AB10-2798E09E4191.png
    ABFB5B6A-24C7-47F3-AB10-2798E09E4191.png
    933.2 KB · Views: 170
  • CCF45C3F-6CC2-41B4-AA61-5CE113EB01DC.png
    CCF45C3F-6CC2-41B4-AA61-5CE113EB01DC.png
    452 KB · Views: 182
Back