fuel line clamps

hotrdd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I've been to a bunch of my local automotive shops and none of them have fittings / clamps small enough to hold on the fuel line. I tried to order some of the wire hose clamps but I'm not able to get a big enough size. What are you guys using?

if you are using tygon or clear plastic lines cut a piece about a 1/4 inch long warm it up so it will stretch easily and slide it over the end of the hose (let a 1/16th show) it will squeeze the hose enough to give a good seal but will come off with out cutting anything if needed, other smaller clamps check lawn mower shops

Attachments

• S6300691.JPG
    S6300691.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 358
Did you try a big place like Lowe's? Dig around in the plumbing section too, they might have some that will fit, beyond that, I'm with Patches, twist some good wire around there with a pair of pliers, it will do the same thing.

Zip tiez! A couple of bucks for the black uv resistant kind, about 1/16" wide at Home Depot. Also, the nearest Autozone or Advance, I forget which, has 1/4" spring clamps in the lawnmower section.

There are two kinds of clear gas line you can get in the lawmower section. One is crystal clear and hardens after awhile. The other is more translucent and stays soft and flexible. It's what I like. I've also seen the yellow kind there, but not in 1/4" so I've never used it.

I've been using these.

l-double-wire-spring.jpg

getting them from England Uh, they aren't that big! endless reuse, easy to grab and slide on and off with a needle nose even when they are buried somewhere.

I use Tygon for fuel line.

I may have to resort to wire because I've tried, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, XS Direct and two auto parts stores. Seriously how hard could this be

Seriously how hard could this be

Seriously as hard as you want to make it. Just order any clamps from any place, and do without until they arrive. I'd feel ok without clamps, but I don't want any surprises. But I've gone without short term.

Buy the fuel line and single wire loop clamps from MikesXS, just like the original stuff and very nice. I like it so much, I'm starting to put it on all my other bikes too.

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/20-4017.html

EDIT: I just have to edit this now. Like many of their products, Mike's has changed suppliers for their fuel line. It is no longer the original thin wall type, it's just your basic thick wall auto stuff and it is complete and utter SHIT now. It literally splits down the sides in a year or less. DO NOT BUY IT. It really is a shame because the stuff they used to sell was excellent.

Last edited:
Ordered and just received some really good quality double wire fuel line clamps. Far superior to the single wire clamps from XS650Direct. These clamps require pliers to install and remove. Pretty costly though. Since I only bought a small qty, the larger clamp for 1/4” hose were over $.80 each. The smaller clamp was about $.45 Cdn. Shown in picture with the cheaper single wire clamps.

9684F7EF-6D9F-417B-B3BC-D28A4F956EEF.jpeg

The best fuel line clamp is a zip tie, the little 1/16" wide variety. If it's someplace you never want to see again put two on :) The black ones have better sunlight resistance than the whiteish ones, the scriptures say. Available at your nearest friendly Walmart. To take it off just cut the square part with diagonal cutters. I can do it with my teeth.

I see problems when, or if, there is a need to remove the fuel lines. there is a greater chance to cut and/or damage the lines when trying to remove the Zip tie............in a pinch a zip tie would be better than nothing..............what i don't like about them is they are hard, near impossible, to get really tight, there is always just a little daylight around the head where the tie slips through, not a complete clamp..........

I see problems when, or if, there is a need to remove the fuel lines. there is a greater chance to cut and/or damage the lines when trying to remove the Zip tie............in a pinch a zip tie would be better than nothing..............what i don't like about them is they are hard, near impossible, to get really tight, there is always just a little daylight around the head where the tie slips through, not a complete clamp..........
Here are my secrets that make zip ties the best choice.

First, to get them tight, get two pliers, grip the part you pull with one, and with left hand put the other pliers on top of the square part, don't squeeze, you just want to block the square part and pull against it with the other hand. It allows you to pull on it with all your strength.

Second, to get it off, simply cut the square part with diagonal cutters, and it falls off. The cutters never get near the fuel line, they stay about 1/16" or so above it.

If you want a hose clamp that is small and works very well and can be removed with a needle nose or pliers try these. They can be painted black if you'r anal. They work very well with the gas line I get at the local Honda shop. They make other sizes if you line has a smaller OD. Sorry for the fuzzy photo
clamp copy.jpg
hose clamp copy.jpg

Back