Fuel line diagram

gyhalacsy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, Just registered after picking up an 81 65o special 2. I have some work to do on it before I can run or ride the thing. I know for a fact that I have an electrical issue, will be buying a wiring harness from mikes. I will also have to clean the carbs since it sat for 9 years. Now when I got the thing loaded onto my truck for transport, I saw a fuel line laying on my bed...the petcock doesn't work, so I have to rebuild or replace it. I read the thread on rebuilding one, yet the petcock I have is different from the ones shown in the thread. The reserve tube is pointed forward and the pri tube is angled back into the body. Until I can rebuild the petcock should I leave in the on position or the pri position? This is my first bike, so please be gentle.

Guy

the forward tube is for vacuum from the little barb on the intake manifold to operate the automatic/vacuum petcock, the rear larger angled fitting connects to the fuel line that goes to the tee between the carbs.

I don't see any tee between the carbs other than one coming from the air filters. Nevermind, I foud it using my flashlight...is a bit hard to get to though. Thinking of putting in an inline filter between the petcock and fuel tee.

Attachments

• 20140902_081109.jpg
    20140902_081109.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
I use this one, it's very compact and flows well - there's probably others you could use as well.

Attachments

• Visu-filter data.pdf
    250 KB · Views: 199
I don't see any tee between the carbs other than one coming from the air filters. Nevermind, I found it using my flashlight...is a bit hard to get to though. Thinking of putting in an inline filter between the petcock and fuel tee.

Hi Gary,
when you remove the gas tap to rebuild it you will see there's a combination filter/reserve level tower stuck in the top.
Sometimes the bastard falls out and lays in the bottom of the tank leaving you with no filtration and no reserve either.
So yes, an inline filter is good. But also keep watching your odometer, when it gets past the distance you should have gone onto reserve and you didn't, fill up anyway.
Your next step will likely be to pull the carbs to clean them.
You will need to remove the carb to head manifolds to get them past the frame tube.
For that, you will need a 5mm ball-ended Allen key. Nothing else works as easy.

Back