Fuel Line Filters But Still Getting Gummed Carbs

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
I haven't ridden my PAMCO/PMA'ed XS650 since last summer, and even then I didn't ride it much. I aim to the sell the bike, but I'm getting ticked that its not running right despite all these improvements. One thing that gets me is that my carbs are STILL getting gummed up despite dual stone filters.

If the bike sits with fuel in the carbs, will that almost always guarantee clogged jets?

Your fuel filters don't have anything to do with your gum. Your carbs will gum up with or without filters. If old gas (week or more) is going to sit in your tank and carbs you should use a fuel stabilizer like Sta-Bil.

Scott

Is there anyway to bring the fuel back from the dead once it's already in the carbs?

IE: cleaning the carbs up without removing them?

There are additives you can add to the petrol prior to laying up. Personally, I ride around and burn off the fuel, drain the carbs, then fill with fresh in when the bikes on the road again.
In your case bin the fuel (responsibly of course:) ) and fill with fresh, good quality.

Is there anyway to bring the fuel back from the dead once it's already in the carbs?

IE: cleaning the carbs up without removing them?

Yes, use Sta-bil and lots of it. Run the engine long enough to replace the fuel in the bowls with treated gas or shut off petcock and drain bowls and leave empty. Next season dump your fuel and start with new fuel that is treated with Sta-bil to remove any gum that may have happened.

I grew up with carbs and points, USE STA-BIL, USE STA-BIL.

Use Sta-bil to prevent gum. Use Sta-bil to clean gum. Use Sta-bil or clean your carbs every season or more. Sta-bil, $5 to $10 per bottle. Carb service, $100 to $200.

Scott

Put the bad gas in your car. Do it when the car is almost full. It won't hurt anything.

BTW, I no longer use Sta-Bil. Now I use Ethanol Shield. It prevents the ethanol from breaking down, AND is a long-term fuel stabilizer. I researched all of the ethanol stabilizers, and it seemed to be the best. I get it at my lawn and out-door equipment supply store.

LUCAS makes a great Ethanol Stabilizer... takes one ounce per five gallons of fuel... I use a little closer to an ounce per tank on my 81 HS... with premium fuel.... and have noticed an increase in fuel economy as well. I get about 10 more miles per tank now. I also use it in my 88 Lincoln, and advise anyone with a vehicle that is not "flex fuel compatible" to use it as well. The moisture in the Ethanol blends cause gumming, and rust formation in tanks and lines, and clogged injectors/carb passages....

Back