Fuel line id"

tidd1340

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im not near my carbs right now and need to pick up fuel line for the BS38's from a '76.Does anyone know the size hose i need? Thanks.

1/4 inch is a bit loose, 3/16 is a bit tight. I like it a bit tight. Most clamps won't work well on fuel lines this small unless it's the very thick wall stuff like on a car.
Leo

I suggest buying the proper stuff from Mike's. It's one of his good items and a dead ringer for the original. I've started to use it on all my other bikes as well.

i used the 1/4" car stuff. its tuff and doesnt bend great. i liked how it looks, but ill be changing it when i do the redo this winter.

I get 1/4" clear line from the tractor place here. Just so I can see the gas flowing. It is made for gasoline and is the thin wall type. Identical to MikesXS, just clear.
But I have used MikesXs with great success. I'm not to keen on the thick wall type.

..and I don't think a football makes a very good Christmas present.

I use to use the 1/4" fuel lines, but found them to be on the loose side, and occasional leakage would occur.

I now use 3/16" lines that I buy at a local automotive store. I think it says "SAE Fuel Line" on the lines. They are the thick wall type, which makes it easy to clamp............I use the "jubilee" screw type hose clamps. Very rugged fuel line, and they never leak. I use the same line to join my vacuum barbs on my intake manifolds.

It's Tygon for me, the clear/yellow isn't prettiest but I like to see gas flow too. There is a clear/blue fuel line that has worked well for me in the past also.
I Like the mikalor fuel clamps too.

79BS38s.jpg

http://www.bsupply.us/xs650/79BS38s.jpg

Scabber recommended the 1/4" gray Motion Pro to me, and I love it. It's fairly thick walled and works well with spring clamps on my stock petcocks, but is flexible enough to fit over my VM36's 5/16" fuel inlet. And it does not seem prone to drying, cracking, or splitting. It's a little pricey, but I'm not d*cking about with cheap fuel line.

TC

Clear 1/4" lawnmower line from the parts store, next to the inline filters and inline shutoff valve.

For a clamp I use a small size zip tie from HD (Home Depot) with "UV resistant" on the label. Usually two ties per connection.

Since it's clear the extra makes a good siphon tube to get gas out of the tank for the Coleman burner, if need be.

Thanks for the tips.I need to find out what im using for fittings as I have a Detroit Bros. Instigator tank.There is no room for petcocks so I will have to use an inline one.

hi thre,s an italian pickish/clear flue line ,,thats slightly smaller than 1/4",, and it,s reasonably priced ,,, i,ve used it on my xs650 and my gs1000e . and those spring clips from mikesxs go on without dramas .. i purchased mine from morwell kaw...... shop morwell they sell/tune and race all different bikes regards oldbiker

Last edited:
tygon lines available from lawn mower shops, cut a 1/4 inch section, heat it up with a heat gun, stretch it slightly using needle nose pliers, slide it onto hose section, double wall hose and clamp combined

Attachments

• hose clamp.PNG
    hose clamp.PNG
    5.5 KB · Views: 143
Back