fuel line on 75 tank to vm34's

Killjack

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey guys I was just wondering how you run your fuel lines? as the size from the fuel tap/petcock on the tank requires a smaller size fuel line than the vm34 takes.

I also want to run an inline filter but there doesn't seem to be any inline filters that have the smaller barb on one side to match the tank, and a bigger size on the other to match the vm34's.

I have searched and it didn't help, I'm sure there's a simple resolution I just haven't figured it out

Thanks

Thats a good question. What I did, were I heated up a 6mm I think and snug it around the 8mm for the mikunis.. and then tighten them up afterwards. Remember it beeing a pain heating them up without overdoing so. ;) would allso like to see alternative ways.

Vsop, if there's a better way, I don't know about it. Good quality 1/4" fuel line with a dab of light grease and a little heat will get it done. It helps to stretch the line a bit with a small needle nose plier while you heat it.

Killjack, I have a couple of fuel filters with barbs in 2 sizes lying around, but I don't recall the brand. I'll get the information for you and post it later if someone else doesn't chime in with it first.

I cut a bit of smaller line for the petcocks and slid it over the spickett and then slid the larger line over it. Tighten and you are good to go. I also ran my right side tank line to the left side carb and visa-versa. This eliminates kinks in the line and allows room for a filter. I hope this helps. Tony C.

Hi tonyc, you made left to tight and right to left? made a x for the tubes?? kind of having a hard time visualizing that, could you shoot a pic just for ref.?

Tnx

Us cheap bastards put shrink sleeve on the too small spigot until the too big fuel tube fits nice.

Vsop I would have remove the fuel tank to show you and I rather not. Right side petcock is connected to the left carb. The left side petcock is connected to the right carb. This eliminates kinks in the fuel line and provides more room.

Vsop, if there's a better way, I don't know about it. Good quality 1/4" fuel line with a dab of light grease and a little heat will get it done. It helps to stretch the line a bit with a small needle nose plier while you heat it.

Killjack, I have a couple of fuel filters with barbs in 2 sizes lying around, but I don't recall the brand. I'll get the information for you and post it later if someone else doesn't chime in with it first.

that would be good if you could, otherwise ill just have to go the stretch option

I like the solutions from Tony and Fred! Definitely two better ways than what I did for too many years of too little thinking! I haven't had to deal with the fuel line problem for quite a few years, though; I found that even OE manual petcocks tend to foul the throttle cables on VM's and switched to compact thread-in aftermarket petcocks long ago, and those have outlets that are better matched to aftermarket Mikuni carbs. My current TM36-68's have a throttle shaft and don't present that problem, but the thread-in petcocks are still there, and being able to select for outlet angle helps in routing the fuel lines.

I'll phone the shop and get the maker of those filters, Killjack.

Killjack, the item is the Driveworks Universal Fuel Filter, part no. DW-756. It has two-step barbs of 1/4" and 5/16" at both ends. In the USA it's stocked by Advance Auto and some powersports shops; don't know where you'd find it in Oz, but Google might help you.

Back