Fuel Tank Leaking

Chrondor

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know if there is anything I can do with a leaking fuel tank?
Petcocks seem okay but fuel is seeping down from the seat area, down from the front of the tank.
73 tx650. Not sure if this is even fixable.
Any resources to replace this or fix it?
The bike is running superb so this is a real bummer.
-Chrondor

Caswell Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer Motorcycle Kit
A very simple and pretty easy fix. Caswell is the only sealer I know of that is ethanol resistant. I have used it on numerous leaking or rusted-out tanks, never had a problem. It just takes a little preparation and forethought regarding dealing with the cap and petcock openings.

Caswell Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer Motorcycle Kit
A very simple and pretty easy fix. Caswell is the only sealer I know of that is ethanol resistant. I have used it on numerous leaking or rusted-out tanks, never had a problem. It just takes a little preparation and forethought regarding dealing with the cap and petcock openings.

I have never done a motorcycle tank but will give a thumbs up for Caswell. Used their sealer last year on the tank of my 1948 Farmall and is holding up great. Like in anything involving paint or adhesive there are two very important things preparation and follow instructions!

If you are lucky like I am they may give you a discount for paying cash at the door, they are only about 30 miles from me! Portland, Or might be a bit of a hike!

https://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

Original 1973 TX650 tanks (with the metal side badges not a decal) were often replaced under warranty because of a leaking rear seam. I have a couple that have that rear seam repaired with braze or weld. Any heat based gas tank repairs are not to be attempted by amateurs, disaster and death lurks.
ebay repaired tank.JPG 73 tx650 tank.jpg

I'll try a sealant. I'm not gonna mess around with heat.
Thanks for the quick responses. Hopefully this will do the trick.

2 months in and the Caswell Sealant is holding up.
No leaks.
Glade to hear that! The Farmall I mentioned back in post #3 is still holding as well. I was a little worried about it as the leaks were under the mounting brackets that are spot welded to the bottom of the tank. I was worried they were stress cracks around the spot welds and could be subject to vibration causing new leaks but like I said over a year and not a drip!

Back