Fuged mix screw. Might need carb bodies

Have you read the carb guide in the tech section? I don’t know which fuel screws you got to replace the old one, but that could make a difference. Do you have to use the choke to start the bike? If not try turn in the screws a 1/4 at a time until it starts idling good. If you use choke to start it then do the opposite with the fuel screws. One more thing if you actually drilled out the ports and enlarged it this will cause an imbalance.

In went up 2 sizes on mains and pilot jets and I have a free flowing air filter.
I do need the choke on to start the bike, if it's warmed up I can start it w no choke.

Two sizes on the pilot might be too large. Play with the idle mixture screw and find the sweet spot it idles best. There are a lot of YouTube videos on it. If you can’t get it right try going back to the stock size on the pilot. Did you sync the carbs? That can cause issues with idle and running as well.

I synced them with the dead cylinder method a while ago. I believe they are still good. I'm going for a ride in the am. I'm gonna see how she does.

Yes, 2 up on the pilots is quite a bit. One is usually enough. If you want it a bit richer than one but not as rich as two up, change the air jet. Changing the air jet has a smaller effect than changing the pilot. You can achieve richness levels in between pilot jet sizes by doing so. On my '83 with pods and freer flowing exhaust, I'm one up on the pilots, one down on the air jet, and my mix screws are set at about 2 1/4 turns out. Also, at the moment I'm 3 up on the mains (to a 140).

I synced them with the dead cylinder method a while ago. I believe they are still good. I'm going for a ride in the am. I'm gonna see how she does.

I am not sure what the dead cylinder method is, but I’m guessing it’s like a bench sync. If you have dual exhaust you can kinda feel the pressure coming from the pipes with your hand while it’s running and adjust based on feel. That should get you pretty close to sync’d.

Everything is running great w new battery and carbs sorted. I still have my emulsion tubes are a bit out of round. I have ones a little better but should get new. Any Leeds on nos?
I got the idle better by closing up the air filter a bit cause I had it really open. I taped the joint between the air boxes and added one baffle back. I have a homemade air filter on air filter frame. Since doing the carb and battery work and closing up air filter a bit my gas mileage increased dramatically.

One thing I'm getting to much blowby through the crank case breather. I have a bit of seeping through the gaskets base it looks like. I never retourqued the engine bolts and possibly it was never done. Its not enough seeping to account for oil loss at all.
When I first had the bike and was doing mods Willy nilly I opened the metal baffle and the breather opening. I want to close it back to stock.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Back