Fun with Flat-heads (Briggs)

DirtyErnie

Renaissance Hick
Reaction score
Just got home from 10 days with the in-laws, and it's been hot and wet in south-central MN. Perfect growing weather, and the lawn did it's part. It was a real slow walk behind the 22" mulcher, but we got it done just fine.
But then, there's the neighbor's place....
I've been taking care of the yard this summer, and it's a low priority. The neighbor is a young woman who should be in college, but isn't. She's had a rough go, not very good social skills, and mom got taken to a group home by the county (mental issues). Anyways, that yard hasn't been hit in about three weeks, and it should have been grazed over by a couple cows first. Knee high clover and thick, heavy grasses.
This is the first time I've run the mower out of gas, and I have 100% tree cover on my lot, and mulch the leaves every fall, sometimes a foot thick.
My first clue should have been the sound of fuel boiling in the carb, but I filled up the gas tank (after the smoke from down the air fan stopped), primed it with some carb cleaner, and away we went.

Finished it all up, let it idle for a few minutes to 'come back down to earth' and grabbed the Infrared thermometer....

Crank-case: 300°F+
Head: 445°F at the spark plug. Find we're over 350.

I guess Mobil1 is good oil...
But it's getting changed now. Damn...

Kudos for helping out the young lass. Mobil 1 is good stuff. Maybe not for a wet clutch. Pics we like pics. Not of the mower or the lawn. A heartfelt smile can be the the best kind of pay.

Dang when I first say the title I was thinking some one was going old school and adapting a pair of Briggs heads to an XS650! I know someone out there is right now figuring out a way to work the valves!
Wisconsin.png
Wisconsin VG4D cylinder block

Well first thing I would do is source a cylinder block off a Wisconsin VG4D engine to give you the valves in the cylinder block. Now some one needs to figure out a option to mount the cams.

On a more serious vein, bonus points to you for helping neighbor in need! That is what a true neighbor would do.
But then that is what one might expect from a person in Minnesota, there is a reason for the term "Minnesota Nice"!
And I'm not just saying that because my dad was born and raised in that fine state!

Back