Wanted - functioning carbs 78 special

I have tried everything I know to free up choke assembly and butterflies on my 78 xs650.I need a carb bank that works.I can clean them.ronbayless57@gmail.com or text 1-940-390-0219

Sorry Ron - but I think you need to re-post using the "WANTED" tab - your message looks like you want to sell your carbs (which may very well be the case).

Incidentally, I am pretty sure that carbs from just about any year XS650 will fit your bike - but the Gurus should check and correct that statement.

Cheers,

Pete

Sorry Ron - but I think you need to re-post using the "WANTED" tab - your message looks like you want to sell your carbs (which may very well be the case).

Incidentally, I am pretty sure that carbs from just about any year XS650 will fit your bike - but the Gurus should check and correct that statement.

Cheers,

Pete
will do.thanks.

I am new here.But did the very latest models like 83 up have a difference.Other than that it seems 71-whenever would work.I have found some 75s that look like mine.

70's models cane with many variations of bs38's. 80's models had slight variations of bs34's. The good news is any year xs carb will fit any year xs engine, the bad is parts from 75 carbs aren't interchangeable with your 78's.

70's models cane with many variations of bs38's. 80's models had slight variations of bs34's. The good news is any year xs carb will fit any year xs engine, the bad is parts from 75 carbs aren't interchangeable with your 78's.
ok.but if I had all 75 carbs and parts they just bolt on right?

Ron, You do realize that your 78 carbs are connected together with that 90° angle iron straight mount ? Earlier carbs may be individuallly mounted and you are going to face cable / and or fitment challenges. I personally would attempt to rebuild or find similar 78/79 carbs which are favored ya know its been stated..

If I'm being honest I'm not sure what I said yes to now. I was thinking you were asking if you had 75 carbs in pieces would they bolt together and work on any xs, now I'm not sure lol.

If I'm being honest I'm not sure what I said yes to now. I was thinking you were asking if you had 75 carbs in pieces would they bolt together and work on any xs, now I'm not sure lol.
the pctures of the bay items,i just won them.You see the pictures, what do you think.heres my take-the throttle cable is on the same side on all of them.all the 38s have the same size opening.the manifolds are all the same except the newest models.I see no reason if they have the angle iron etc that they wouldnt work.

All good, Are your 78 carbs good enough to save ? That is the most important question. If not. I realize the big challenge to replace them. Being fairly recourceful myself. I encourage doing the "foot work" at local shops and asking potential connections as that effort has paid off for me. The advertised internet items get much attention and therefore are pursued by many. 78 BS38's are really your ideal find !

Asking the local shop is not an option.Another story.Lets just say they are notorious.And the only one in town.Of an area of 6.7 million people they are the only one.It requires going 40 miles to dallas in suicide traffic to ask around.Much easier to just call. They have the market cornered here and they could care less about the customer.My carbs actually look very good.They look like I should just be able to bolt them on.But the choke doesnt move, therfore the butterflies do not either and hooking a throttle cable to them of course would achieve nothing.After soaking my carbs in 3 different cleaners they look good in regard to what is visible.If I removed the jets, perhaps one of them is messed up.For sure they will be clogged unless the 12 hours total of soaking unclogged them a little.No point of removing them if nothing else works.

Asking the local shop is not an option.Another story.Lets just say they are notorious.And the only one in town.Of an area of 6.7 million people they are the only one.It requires going 40 miles to dallas in suicide traffic to ask around.Much easier to just call. They have the market cornered here and they could care less about the customer.My carbs actually look very good.They look like I should just be able to bolt them on.But the choke doesnt move, therfore the butterflies do not either and hooking a throttle cable to them of course would achieve nothing.After soaking my carbs in 3 different cleaners they look good in regard to what is visible.If I removed the jets, perhaps one of them is messed up.For sure they will be clogged unless the 12 hours total of soaking unclogged them a little.No point of removing them if nothing else works.

I actually wish those carbs were closer to here. I would love to take a stab at them just for the challenge. I'm a bit stubborn at times, well all the time to be honest! And I do have a 1978 sitting out in the barn just waiting for me to get tired of it sitting there.

What ever you do with them don't toss them and keep all the parts in a box, they don't make new ones! Just an example look at that sad 1972 in my picture to the left. When it was given to me there didn't seem to be any part worth saving. Over the years parts off it have gone to many people all around the world and there are two small pieces, signal light mounts, sitting on my desk waiting for the go ahead to head to Atlanta to join up with the front fork they originally were mounted on! Lenses went to the west coast just a short time ago.

believe me when I say I will keep them for parts.I bought an 82 goldwing just for parts once.Cost me $200.If bought separately the parts would have been well over $1000. I sold $425 worth then the shell for 100.

the ones I bid on have the angle iron and no chrome tops.thanks though.
Hi Ron,
what you could try is dismantling as much of that carb rack as you can. Once the angle irons are gone you'll see the carbs ain't held together by much.
Remove the little screws that attach the choke operating hardware to the choke pull rod.
Once the carbs are separate with their diaphragms & slides removed along with every jet, float & needle it'll give you more places to squirt carb cleaner in and most likely let you separate the carbs from each other and work on them one at a time.
Do all carb work inside a cafeteria tray to keep the little parts from going astray.
Custom-grind old screwdrivers to an exact fit in the various soft brass jets.
'ware losing the two tiny ball and spring setups that let the choke rod "click" into the various choke positions.

Last edited:
I have a nice mikes xs setup coming in a few days.I already took the angle iron off.Once the rubber fuel line between the 2 carbs was loosened they came apart.As you said,not much holding them together.Another thing you said was my plan also, so I must be on the right trac.i will completely disassemble one carb while the other is left alone so i can remember how things go back if necessary.i would think at some point i get the right lubricant in the right place to free things up.Those little balls-I never knew they existed.Could one of them be dislodged making the choke thing not work? Thanks for the information.

Back