Fungorus newbie

Fungorus

"ride hard...live long"
Reaction score
Hi guy's
New to this forum so I will do a quick intro and go from there.
Been into bike for 25 years or so, got my first XS650 1978 model. Will be making it into a Cafe Racer. Have started and got some parts on the way.
TC Choppers Rear sets, Omars club bars and hammer head shocks, mikes XS mini gauges, seat and bits and bobs. Here are the start pics.

th_0105100906-00-01.jpg

th_06022010001.jpg

th_06022010003.jpg

th_06022010005.jpg

th_06022010006.jpg

Any advice on carbs and carbie options would be appreciated. Wanted joe wiseguy set up but out of stock.....where are the best and cheapest options?

Hello Fungorus. I'm relatively new here myself, a transplant from another site. If your engine is stock and your stock carbs are working good I would stay with that combination especially if you are looking for the cheapest way to go. If the bike has sat for a long period of time I would suggest removing the carbs for a thorough cleaning which is also relatively easy and cheap. Exhaust and intake changes will require jet and needle position changes but again these are easy to do and parts are readily available........BG

Cheers BigGeorge.....the original carbs need a full rebuild, so I thought I might try something else out as they are dated. I have the two into one system from Mikes XS, I am sure they run with standard carbs. Maybe I could source a good 2nd hand set. There are so many options on the net, mostly from the states (I am in Australia) and various costs. Carb Kits IE complete replacements like delorto or roundslides (pro carb - mikes XS ) seem an easy option but they are way too expensive. Might have to keep an eye on eBay. The motor has a 750 big bore kit installed from an previous owner and seems fine (compression good etc) so I will leave it that way.
Fungorus

Welcome! :cheers:

Sounds like no matter which route you go for carbs, you're going to have to do some messing around with them. What did you want from Wise Guys? Their 2 into 1 intake?

Hi Travis
Yes the Joe Wiseguy two into one is what I was considering. I notice the intake only is still available, but not the kit. Maybe I could source my own carb. Any suggestions on carbs that might be suitable (apart from mikuni Cv). I understand there will be mucking about to do, but with help it might be an option.

So you don't know what carb were selling with the kit? Maybe a 38mm or something like that?

I have made a bid on a standard set of carbs. Has to be better than the pile of junk that came with my bike. I will look into a two into one system later. Easier just to go with original for now, at least till basic bike is set up. I think joe wiseguy runs a 36mm mikuni. I was just curious as to what else would bolt up so I can keep a watch on fleabay.

Welcome Fungorus, Live just up the road in North Queensland :D. Be carfull buying Carbs through fleabay from the states, or anywhere for that matter, make sure you ask all relevant questions especially about doing the diaphragm test. Also the US carbs are set up different, especially the BS34's, than the Aussie ones. Our BS34 came out with the same set up as the Canadian models, didn't have the EPA restrictions as the States.

BS34 Needle Jet 336-Y0 with the Jet Needle 5IX11 Aussie

BS34 Needle Jet - Y-O with the Jet Needle - 5HX12 US

Big difference.

Attachments

• 51X11  AUS.jpg
    51X11 AUS.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 336-YO  AUS.jpg
    336-YO AUS.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 5HX12  US.jpg
    5HX12 US.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 137
  • Y-O US.jpg
    Y-O US.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Thanks Skull
Yeah just up the road mate, do it in a day or five. thanks for the info.
Can I just swap over the jets and bingo :thumbsup: have an Aussie version or are there other differences? :D

Some bits arrived the other day......see if you can spot them

th_18022010001.jpg

th_18022010002.jpg

th_18022010.jpg

Click on thumbnail for bigger picture.....

Last edited:
- well youve added hydraulic brake cylinder, kickstart rubber, rear shocks, seat, midmounted pegs, gauge, trying to decide whether theyre new bars too...probably missed some

Fungie, the best 'deal' for carb's is 650 CENTRAL. Mike Morse know's his shit on these bike's, & his carb's will come set up for what your riding style is. Unfortunately, you'll have to call him, his website is a 'view only'. Mike is a really good guy, will talk to you forever on these machine's. If you do call him for carb's, he will get you the best carb & set-up on what you tell him.:thumbsup: Go to his site, & you will see what I mean, 650 central.com. Sorry, I do not know how to post a direct link to him for you.:banghead::bike:

Gordo, to post a link, all you need to do is:
Go to the top of the page with your cursor, where it says the web address of the page your on like [noparse]http://www.xs650.com[/noparse] click the right button on your mouse then select copy.
Then when you are writing a reply, at the appropriate spot click the right button again & select paste. You have now posted a direct link. :thumbsup:

Thanks Guy's.....I have been bidding on originals on eBay but for some reason it all seems to go pear shape.......If Spyderworks Doesn't come through with a buy it now set then I am definitely going with Mike's set from 650central....I just want a set of carbs...it's been going on for weeks now....dead end after dead end.....looking at sites wrong type of set up.....choke levers both on left side.....not jetted up...not in stock....Mike sounds like he will come through..........:thumbsup:.......soon to place an order....Glad I am a member your advice has been invaluable....:D

Oh and by the way, new items in pic were....Redwing shocks & club bars (Omars).....Speedo (mikes XS)......rearsets (T.C. choppers)....Front vented discs from an XS1100RH......soon to go on, two into one pipes & Cafe seat (MIkes XS)....Carbs from Mike 650 Central?....

Fungorus, Have you tried the local XS650 club of Australia ...http://www.xs650.org.au/..to find the carbs you are looking for........or for that matter are you a member there are a couple of guys who are selling stuff all the time

650Skull....you have to be a member to buy from them? It looks like it costs to join.......Maybe....I look at what I can see.......cheers

$30 and you get a T shirt the first year. and no you don't have to be a member to buy from them, there are two guys who sell a lot, one is Peter Kommer

PETER KOMMER
XS650 Spares, Australia
Ph. 0402 828 094
yam653@hotmail.com

Back