Fuse box to busbar/single input?

highboy_coupe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi,
I think a busbar fuse block would be neater, these typically take a single input and act as a fused distribution block:

ffff.jpg

The wiring diagram for my (80) XS shows that the main 12V from the battery is fused, then powers on the brown wire back to the fusebox when ignition is tuned on:

fusebox-mod.png

Should I put a single inline fuse on the battery 12V and then use the brown wire as my single fusebox live, with 3 fused circuits? Is there an alternative where I can just have the one fusebox with a single input and 4 circuits?

The amount of wires for the original style fusebox upsets me, I find the single input type much easier to deal with, and hide.

Thanks

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 72
That drawing has an error in it. The power line from the battery should run only to the 20A fuse, not branch off to the ignition switch before it gets there. The wire coming out of the 20A fuse should run to the ignition switch. Then a brown from the switch back to the other 3 fuses.

Yes, you will want a single inline 20A fuse on the battery power line to the ignition switch. Then a brown from the switch can run to your single feed fuse box. No, there's no alternative if you want fused main power running to your ignition switch, which you do.

That drawing has an error in it. The power line from the battery should run only to the 20A fuse, not branch off to the ignition switch before it gets there. The wire coming out of the 20A fuse should run to the ignition switch. Then a brown from the switch back to the other 3 fuses.

Yes, you will want a single inline 20A fuse on the battery power line to the ignition switch. Then a brown from the switch can run to your single feed fuse box. No, there's no alternative if you want fused main power running to your ignition switch, which you do.

Ah, thanks! And this diagram was called the "fixed" version!!

We cant the get the rather nice delphi block 4 way fuse holder in the UK, of we could I would choose that!

4waydelphi.jpg

I just want something really small, I have limited space under my seat.

48406093_735068566868079_5341026672797810688_n.jpg

If that is really your goal, the cheapest and simplest solution is in a video that I made in the following thread, go to the post #4:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/open-barrel-splice-video.54861/

Thanks, that is a great idea. My only reservations are that I would still need to use 8 wires, and that there's a slim possibility using standard spade connectors that things could move about and short on my battery box etc...
I admit I wasattracted to single terminal fuse blocks only because I could get rid of a couple of wires.

That was the first thing I did to my xs650. The old fuses were f’ed and needed replaced so I got the fuse block. Hindsight I think I would have tried and found a slimmer fuse block or used the one with the smaller fuses. Either way it gets hidden under my seat no issue.

Back