Fuses Blowing, Starter wont disengage

JTB_Texas

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i got my xs650 recently it only has 5000 miles on it and the headlight fuse started blowing right after i take off riding and now it has done it to the blinker fuse too. The clips that hold the headlight fuse and the fuse get really hot when i start the bike. I also took it to the dealership to see get it inspected and the mechanic told me my starter gear wont disengage because of a worn out compression spring which i find hard to believe because the bike only has 5000 miles on it and i was wondering if the safety relay could have anything to do with it. The problem with the fuses only started after about 1 or 2 months riding. I would really like to get this solved its my first bike and now i cant even ride in daylight because of no blinkers. Thanks

The joys of electrical gremlins!
A methodical approach usually yields the best results. It will no doubt be a short in the case of the light. The starter could be worn, however, it would be prudent to pop it out, clean it up and check operation of the bench.
As for the light, it will no duobt be a short / bad ground of some description. First off check all earths for tightness and clean grounding - some emery paper will help there. Then go through each circuit by disconnecting it or removing a fuse. Once you have identified the circuit that is definately causing the problem. Trace through the loom and identify the wires that are nipped, broken, chafed etc and remedy
It is not easy to give a specific fix but with patience you will find it!

what year/model do you have? what modifications? trouble shooting a bone stocker is a hell of a lot easier than something that has been improved by a PO

Hey guys i got my xs650 recently it only has 5000 miles on it and the headlight fuse started blowing right after i take off riding and now it has done it to the blinker fuse too. The clips that hold the headlight fuse and the fuse get really hot when i start the bike. I also took it to the dealership to see get it inspected and the mechanic told me my starter gear wont disengage because of a worn out compression spring which i find hard to believe because the bike only has 5000 miles on it and i was wondering if the safety relay could have anything to do with it. The problem with the fuses only started after about 1 or 2 months riding. I would really like to get this solved its my first bike and now i cant even ride in daylight because of no blinkers. Thanks

First thing to do....................buy some in-line automotive blade type fuse holders. Remove the stock, glass fuse type, fuse panel, as its toast. Solder in the new fuse holders and use heat shrink insulation.

The fuses are getting hot because the fuse holder clips are worn out. The fuse holder clips now have high resistance causing voltage drop and heat to build up.

Do this first, this by itself may solve a lot of problems.

Thanks for the responses guys I will try to figure out and it is a 1980 it doesn't have any mods besides a new master cylinder brake line and caliper from mikes

Back