My rebuild journey. (old title: Future owner - Help me identify this 650.)

Sudonate91

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My wife's grandfather passed away recently and I have been told I am going to inherit his 650 special. They don't know much about it until lawyers give the release of the title and such.

Would anyone help me identify what model/year it is? Here is an album of some photos I took.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/apRrYDuJB16yrt3SA

It has not been ran in quite some time. It ran before he stopped riding it but it has been sitting for many many years. I was hoping to restore it to the point I can use it as a Sunday rider. Anything I should know going into this? I feel a carb rebuild will be needed and a bunch of other thing (electrical, brakes, chain, tires). For the family's sake, I want to keep it as original as possible.

Any other gotchas I should know before going into this?

Last edited:
The grab bar, round front reflector and metal side covers says it's a 78-79 special. The BS34 carbs, no wires to the left cam cover and oil sight glass says the engine is an 82-83 motor.

Reflector.jpg

Metal covers.jpg

Sight glass.jpg

Bs34.jpg

Checking the vin no in the frame and engine is the only way to know if the bike is original. Frame and engine no's should match........The 17 digit frame no will be confusing when comparing it to the engine no.........the last 6 no's on the frame vin should correspond with the 6 no's on the engine

Vin chart and model id here
http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

Looks like an 80G.....The 80G cosmetically, the same as the 79F-SII special model, Metal side-covers, the same round reflector, round chrome bar passenger grab rail, tank, and seat, and 19" front and 16" rear 36 spoke wheels with chrome rims......Your pics are consistent with all the above

Differences are the 79F-SII has BS38 carbs, Points ignition and the on the Gauges the speedo is 120mph with 200kph, (in yellow) on the inside......Wheel rims were Alloy, Special, 19"/16", Alloy rims are rare as they were only on 1, of the 3 models in 79 and were changed to Chrome in 80

80G has BS34 carbs, TCI, ( factory electronic), ignition and the gauges has a speedo reading 80mph with a red line from 50mph, (yours has faded to white), and the indicator light has been moved from the rev-counter, to the cluster tower............Your girlfriends grandfathers bike has all these showing in the pics

80G.............................................79F-SII
Clipboard.jpg1 1a.jpg
80G.............................................79F-SII
9 81SH.jpg1 1j.jpg

Last edited:
81 in the states they changed that....my 80Sg has the sight glass. so it may have been different over here..............its an easy change/upgrade with them being interchangeable..........

I have redone the ID page and that has a comprehensive set of pics showing the models and pretty much a brochure for each year

Jim, So many models for different countries that there are some oddities
The brochure has the 80SG seat but round reflectors on the chrome fork guard and the rear shocks don't have the large caps with the reflector on them but has a sight glass.............

Had this as an 80SG because of the seat....Don't have may 80SG pics...definatly not an American model.........honestly only just noticed.
1980-Yamaxa-XS650-Special.jpg

Last edited:
It has not been ran in quite some time. It ran before he stopped riding it but it has been sitting for many many years. I was hoping to restore it to the point I can use it as a Sunday rider. Anything I should know going into this? I feel a carb rebuild will be needed and a bunch of other thing (electrical, brakes, chain, tires). For the family's sake, I want to keep it as original as possible.

Any other gotchas I should know before going into this?

I'm envious of those wire-spoked wheels.

Probably not take a huge amount of work to get that bike all up and running. Pretty much the things you've mentioned. Looks like the bike has only done 14,000 miles.

Go over the bike from end to end. As well as cleaning/rebuilding the carbs, probably need to clean out the petrol tank and fuel taps. Check and adjust things like the valves and cam chain tension. Fortunately, most parts and all service items are readily available for these bikes, especially on your side of the Atlantic.

Man. I made my post and went to bed. I was not expecting this many thougtful responses! This makes me really excited to receive this bike. Its going to be a slow rebuild. I am handy but all this wi be new to me. Hopefully with this forum. I can get this bike back to running condition. I think it would really honor my wife"a grandpa and family to bring this bike around in it's former glory. It was pretty unexpected it was left to me. I really want to do this right.

Yes as they say, nice bones. I'll call it an 80 Special II, No evidence it ever had a disk rear brake. A repaint, lack of turn signals, passenger pegs, aftermarket pipe etc point to it having been tipped. The rear tire on it and amount of dirt speak to use on "country lanes". Not a bad thing and very common kind of the sweet spot for the XS650, but some caution re wear and corrosion, that Missouri limestone dust is hard on chrome. How would you use the bike? Front wheel looks special II, rear swapped in from an early standard, to go to an 18". side cover emblems from a Special.
Couple cautions
It is very common for folks to put on an aftermarket pipe and not change jetting to match, causing bike to run lean. barely noticeable in round town, country lane use, get it out on the highway for an hour or two and hole a piston.....
Going to need a full go through with updates and making up for the age.
Looks like RH swing arm pivot grease zerk is MIA, You'll soon be an expert on the swing arm bushing "issue" LOL.
Welcome to the greatest forum on the web. Do a build/rehab thread and we'll have your back, I gggGaryantee it!

Last edited:
Yes as they say, nice bones. I'll call it an 80 Special II, No evidence it ever had a disk rear brake. A repaint, lack of turn signals, passenger pegs, aftermarket pipe etc point to it having been tipped. The rear tire on it and amount of dirt speak to use on "country lanes". Not a bad thing and very common kind of the sweet spot for the XS650, but some caution re wear and corrosion, that Missouri limestone dust is hard on chrome. How would you use the bike? Front wheel looks special II, rear swapped in from an early standard, to go to an 18". side cover emblems from a Special.
Couple cautions
It is very common for folks to put on an aftermarket pipe and not change jetting to match, causing bike to run lean. barely noticeable in round town, country lane use, get it out on the highway for an hour or two and hole a piston.....
Going to need a full go through with updates and making up for the age.
Looks like swing arm pivot grease zerks are MIA, You'll soon be an expert on the swing arm bushing "issue" LOL.
Welcome to the greatest forum on the web. Do a build/rehab thread and we'll have your back, I gggGaryantee it!

So your implying it already has some custom work done to it? I'm pretty surprised by that because I have always known the previous owner to be a very 'no frills, if it ain't broke dont fix it - no extra money' type of guy.

The house is out in the country but on paved roads. He drove the bike to work at "Mcdonald" Mcdonnell Douglas when he worked there which would of been all paved roads too. I think the dust might of been from gravl roads around the house blowing around.

I havnt road a bike since I was in my teens (I'm 29 now). And that was only only small inroad/off-road honda enduros. My intentions with this bike would be minimal riding. Drive it to family events to allow them to remember grandpa and maybe to work and back. I work from home now due to covid-19 so plenty of garage time to admire it.

It seems like I have alot to learn. I wouldn love to do a rebuild thread once the time comes. Maybe break it up into segments. I don't plan on doing a big bang rebuild. Maybe set of goal to have it done by spring but no rush outside of that.

Last edited:
40 years on most bikes have tipped a time or two.
paint doesn't look stock
turn signals have been removed
seat cover is aftermarket
pipe is aftermarket
rear wheel has been changed
carbs look 81 but could be late year 80, Yamaha wasn't "religious" about model years. Changes often happened during production when old stock ran low, an updated part would go on.
chain guard, side cover emblems from a special.
None of this matters much, swapping, using parts removed from "chopper builds" very common.

40 years on most bikes have tipped a time or two.
paint doesn't look stock
turn signals have been removed
seat cover is aftermarket
pipe is aftermarket
rear wheel has been changed
carbs look 81 but could be late year 80, Yamaha wasn't "religious" about model years. Changes often happened during production when old stock ran low, an updated part would go on.
chain guard, side cover emblems from a special.
None of this matters much, swapping, using parts removed from "chopper builds" very common.
Very interesting! Now I have more questions! I wish the old man was still alive. I feel like this would of struck up from good conversation. I wonder if he did the work or bought it this way. His widow probably wouldn't know. Sounds like there is more history to this bike than I imagined.

Thank you so much for this information!

That's a good approach - just take your time. You have a lot to learn but will probably enjoy it. At the end, you will have a bike with the magic ingredient - personal involvement. Money cannot buy that. You can keep this as your build thread - just update as you do a job or have some queries.

I haven't rode a bike since I was in my teens (I'm 29 now). And that was only only small inroad/off-road honda enduros. My intentions with this bike would be minimal riding. Drive it to family events to allow them to remember grandpa and maybe to work and back. I work from home now due to covid-19 so plenty of garage time to admire it..

I'll bet the farm you will enjoy riding this bike. Especially because of the family connection, and most especially that personal involvement. Minimal riding? Your intentions will change when that engine fires up and you head out on a bike you have resurrected.

Master the knack of kick-starting the big twin and be a family hero. Go on.

Just wondering
It appears that the rear axle is pushed in from the other side it is shoved in fex Clymer manual
The crown nut on the left side in Manual ..Here it is on the right side.If I se right
Cant se any cotter pin on the right side on nut either
Not trying to be smart ass or pretending to know it all.
But just mentioning it since wheels and brakes can be Safety issue.
Slack chain climbing out and not properly tightened nut can in worst case lead to accidents .
I do believe that my axle has the same diameter all the way .But ..?? .
Can be a point of service .the tires shall go by the looks of it.

The more interesting thing is I married into this family - and he has two sons. Yet he still left it to me - his grandson-"inlaw". I feel truly honored.

I also have two sons who have never shared my interest in mechanical things, not for lack of me trying. They are in love with technology.
I went over to my youngest sons house and he’s standing in the kitchen, I hear him say “ Alexa, turn down the music” , I look and the radio is literally on the counter in front of him! I mean, c’mon, is this what things have been reduced to? :laugh2: Neither of my sons would have a clue as to what to do with my motorcycles. I would much rather see my bikes go to someone who would appreciate them and use them. Rather than seeing them as something to unload, so they can buy a new laptop.

Back