1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Gary's home for orphan motorcycles.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gggGary, Aug 3, 2020.

1. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Long story but this guy saw us in a gas station on the way home from Iowa, JP's 74 on the front bumper of the motorhome caught his eye. . We chatted, he said "I've got a Honda Nighthawk 650, bought it 2 years ago, rode it twice, decided I want 4 wheels under me so bought a side by side. Just want it out the shed and go to a good home, must be my face. :pimp:
    Picked it up tonight. It wasn't EXACTLY a nighthawk 650 :rolleyes: 180 miles round trip.
    on the trailer.jpg

I couldn't make this stuff up; 13,000 miles on a 97 Magna 750, clean title. Needs a battery and carbs cleaned. Quick clean up, I'll get a battery for it tomorrow. I've always said I'd never get a Magna cuz carbs are such a pain to do. How'd that work for me?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  2. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

You’re gonna need a bigger barn!
    72513E51-29A8-453F-8940-FE407A3FAC91.jpeg

3. Mailman

I’ve never ridden one, but I’ll bet they are smoooth. :thumbsup:

4. cra-z1

cra-z1 XS650 Junkie

Idaho
    Look at that seat. It's cushier than my sofa.

JRay77, Paul Sutton, MaxPete and 3 others like this.
  5. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

What the cripe, gggGary?!!! While yer at it, you should go buy some lottery tickets! Some people, huh? :shrug: Good for you! :thumbsup:

Paul Sutton, Mailman, MaxPete and 3 others like this.
  6. joebgd

joebgd XS650 Addict

NY
    My uncle had one in yellow. He gave me the xs when he got it. I like that bike and the yellow.
    Idk if his was. 750 but probably idk if they have other sizes. Ya those carbs looked cramped in there, 4 carbs if I remember right inbetween the 2 front and 2 rear cylinders.

7. Boog

Boog Traveling Stroyteller Top Contributor

I've had two in the past and do enjoy that low end torque coming out of a tight curve. Depending on the pipes, that four has a pretty sweet music all of its own. And yes, they are pretty smooth.

Raymond, Paul Sutton, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  8. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Well, aside from the fact that Allison may learn some new words when you start trying to get those carbs off Gary - it looks like a great deal and will make someone a very nice bike on which to cruise around.

Raymond, Paul Sutton, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  9. Mailman

Maybe Allison will take a liking to this mini road sofa? :D

Raymond, Boog, MaxPete and 1 other person like this.
  10. gggGary

She already called dibs, its a conspiracy! But the radian really is a good bike for her.

New battery in, temp gas tank, it starts and runs!

Boog, MaxPete, jetmechmarty and 2 others like this.
  11. thuban

thuban Horse Scratcher XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

That gggGary. Fun never stops! :)

gggGary and MaxPete like this.
  12. kawabunga

kawabunga XS650 Addict

I always wanted a Magna...until I started working on one this week for a friend, an '83 1100. The carbs are so dumb! Not a single piece of bracketry holding them together, they just fall apart when you remove them, except for the choke levers dangling between them. Is it impossible to deal with? No, of course not, but I'll stick to my fuel injected V4.
    Nice score though! I wouldn't turn one down under those circumstances, even with annoying carbs :)

Boog, MaxPete and gggGary like this.
  13. joebgd

joebgd XS650 Addict

NY
    1100 Magna hmm, that would be nice, as a second bike. I don't mind going on a few hr long trips on my xs but it would be nice to take longer rides on a more suitable machine. They just sound good and look good, I wouldn't know it was a Honda by looking at it too which I like.

Boog, gggGary and MaxPete like this.
  14. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Man that looks like a new bike. The unique bikes just seem to find their way to you and keeps us entertained! Good find Gary. JC

thuban, GLJ, Boog and 4 others like this.
  15. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I bet a Ural is in your future....LOL!

thuban, GLJ, gggGary and 1 other person like this.
  16. gggGary

Carbs leaking like a sieve, I gotta go in, drats. :doh: :shrug:

kawabunga, thuban, timbeck and 4 others like this.
  17. Steve C

Steve C XS650 Addict

I worked on a buddy’s vfr 500 and made the mistake of taking the aluminum bottom of the air box off that doubles as a fixture for all 4 carbs.
    Total nightmare to get back together. Not sure how this bikes carbs are laid out but beware, if they screw to an aluminum pan with dowel pins, leave them as a unit!

Boog and gggGary like this.
  18. Steve C

Steve C XS650 Addict

“The carbs are so dumb! Not a single piece of bracketry holding them together, they just fall apart when you remove them, except for the choke levers dangling between them.“

I think this is what I ran into. You naturally think this big pan has to come off but it’s what holds all those tiny little sync springs and linkages in place!!!

kawabunga likes this.
  19. gggGary

signal-2020-08-04-131149.jpg
    The air cleaner is kind of corny.
    20200804_204137.jpg
    Trained Honda technician!
    20200804_210205.jpg
    Simple n roomy.
    20200804_134623.jpg

20200804_134632.jpg
    Carbs off.
    20200804_210801.jpg

20200804_210757.jpg

20200804_210538.jpg

Wow, it was fun. :doh::yikes:

tomorrow is cleaning.

20. gggGary

Was looking at that pan and thinking exactly that!
    Thanks for the confirmation.
    These look pretty darned good will check float needles, pilot jets and idle screws hopefully that will be enough.
    Will do that and install without air cleaner, check how it runs. Fingers crossed.

MaxPete, GLJ, Raymond and 1 other person like this.