Gas cap fix

XSLeo

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
A few years ago I was having trouble with opening my gas cap on the 81. Some one on here I think it was had the same problem. On the bottom of the key cylinder there is a nub that engages the slider of the locking mechanism. This nub wears off. Then the key can't open the cap.
I fixed two caps the way they described. You replaced the stock slider with a longer one with one end bent up. You don't need the key after this mod, Just push the cap down, press the new slider and the cap opens.
I remember they had pics.
I ask because a fellow over on our sister site XS400.com has the same problem. I explained what I did, but thought if I could find this other thread I could link him to it for the pics.
Leo

A few years ago I was having trouble with opening my gas cap on the 81. Some one on here I think it was had the same problem. On the bottom of the key cylinder there is a nub that engages the slider of the locking mechanism. This nub wears off. Then the key can't open the cap. - - -

Hi Leo,
happened to me at a gas pump one time, 100 miles from home and just switched to reserve.
That was before I learned that you pop the cap by shoving a screwdriver blade under the cap from in front to move the latch back.
I reckon I just pried and cussed at it until it opened.
BUT the fix is easy once the cap is open.
Take the lock out, see where the cast-in shitmetal pin has broken off, drill it right there 1/16" diameter by mebbe 3/8" deep, tap a 1/16" rollpin in the hole and Dremel-cut it to the right length.
The repared lock worked for me no problem from when I did that fix back in 1988 until I swapped the Special tank for one from a Standard in 2004.
But hey, now that I know how to pop the tank and how to fix the lock the Standard cap's shitmetal pin will never fail.
Note:- A Standard gas cap (just like the petcocks) DOES NOT interchange with the cap for a Special, even if they do look the same.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I'll post it over on XS400.com.
This should explain it better than I did.
Leo

Back