Gas Cap seal OEM number

furrygreg

XS650 Member
Reaction score
The build on my son's 1978 XS650 SE is done. Everything is running great. One thing that needs to be taken care of is the gas cap seal. The one that was on the cap was dried out and cracked. Ordered the one from Mike's that says it fits all years, but it seemed to be different than the one we removed. The one from Mike's didnt seem to seat properly and wound up tearing. Does anyone have any advice on where to get the correct seal and the OEM number for it, or does one of the two pre-built assemblies that Mike's sells fit this bike? If i get an entire cap assembly, I should be able to transfer the lock from the old cap onto the new one so we can retain the use of our original keys. Thanks for any help we can get on this.

Someone once suggested using an o-ring in place of the cap seal, so I tried it. It took a little experimentation regarding sizes and rubber compounds, and when I found the right one, I bought it in bulk. They have worked for me on many different XS650s with no problems. I'll mail one to you for a couple bucks. If it doesn't work for you, you will only be out a couple of bucks. But, it will work. PM me your email address if interested.

I saw a post from someone else that did that. I wrote down the o-ring size he used from Ace hardware. I am going to pick one up and give it a try. Thanks.

the gasket is still available from yamaha. i purchased one last summer and it fit perfect. i'm leary of mikesxs rubber pieces. the oem part number is 2M0-24641-00-00.

I saw a post from someone else that did that. I wrote down the o-ring size he used from Ace hardware. I am going to pick one up and give it a try. Thanks.
Word of warning:
I tried an o-ring from O'Reilly's. It was not made of Viton, and it swelled from the gas/ethanol fumes and fell off.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try the Ace Hardware O-ring tomorrow. I'll try to makae sure it is made out of fuel resistant material. If that does not pan out, i will take dedchef's advice and order an honest to god seal from Yamaha.

Sweet jeezeus. Dogbunny's done all the leg work.
You will spend what he is asking in gas and time finding your own solution.
Some just like to take the harder roads.

I took a look at what I ordered, and I bought the quad-seal (Double Seal) o-rings from McMaster-Carr. The quad seal works way better than a standard o-ring, I know because I tried both. They didn't have the quad seal in Viton, so I got it in Buna-N, part # 90025K404. They are working fine on several bikes. If any one wants to try one for a couple bucks, PM me.

Went to Ace hardware. Plunked down a dollar bill and got the O-ring. Brought it home and installed it. Seems to have solved my problem. Will keep an eye on it to see if it lasts/works over a period of time. Thanks to everyone and their inputs.

I bought the OEM one for at a few of my bikes. They do cost more than a dollar, but they work well and last a long time. Here's a link to a discounted one: 2M0-24641-00-00 GASKET,CAP 1

I put one of these on my XS1100 Special and I ran out of gas in a few miles. The new seal works well enough that the tank would not vent. There is a small filter in the cap that had rotted and plugged the vent. I made a new one from a small piece of Scotch Brite and all is right with the world. I expect I'll never have to mess with it again.

So far so good with the O-ring installed. Filled up the bike, no sloshing out of the tank cap anymore. The metal gas cap doesn't rattle anymore. Just need to sort out a minor issue with the PMA charging system, and I'll be good to go. Thanks for all the help and info to all.

Back