Gas cap

Mchinn

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am new to the xx 650 and have some questions about the gas cap. The gasket is severely dry rotted and I am curious if you can just replace the gasket or if I just need to replace the whole cap. I see Mike XS sells a new one pretty cheap. If you can remove the gasket does anybody know how?

get em good and warm and lubed up and they can be slipped on. BUT the vent goes through the cap and takes a tortured path, it's often clogged, but the rotted seal has covered up the problem. So taking the cap apart is often needed. Apart isn't too bad, back together, getting the spring compressed and clip back on can be fun. hint clamp in a vice.

Also, Mike's is known for questionable quality with their rubber bits. You might want to try to find OEM if available or possibly another supplier. Which style cap are you using?

‘77 and later gasket is available OEM. That’s the way to go. As Gary alluded, the filter is rotten and the new seal will cause you to run out of fuel. I made a new filter with a small piece of scotchbrite.

Doyou or anybody else know the proper way of taking the gasket off and the spring pressured apart??

Back