Gas resistant spray can clear coat TEST

I used the gas resistant clear, sucked my left nut. Gas took the clear right off. Though the duplicolor underneath is gas resistant.

I used gas to take off the remaining rustoleum clear and it left my paint underneath perfect.

Duplicolor acrylic laquer for the win!

I rely on spray cans for much of my work. Im having a bodyman paint my tank and side covers with real automotive paint for the look and durability. There is an automotive paint supply store in my town. A man there said he could sell me a reusable spray can with ready to use paint of my choice. At the time I was building a minibike for my daughter. This is a good idea. I believe the reusable can is around $25. I have an air compressor but its air is too oily and wet for laying down paint. Id like to be able to spray automotive paint my self. Paint is expensive but motorcycles dont require much- maybe a pint.

Bring back this old thread. Painting two of my bikes soon I know rustoleum is really good spray paint but I've heard its not resistent to fuel. what brand of clear rattle can is out there that will be resistant ?

^ It's interesting the guy in the second post said he used gas to clean his Duplicolor lacquer and it didn't hurt it. I find it hard to believe, but hey.

I wrote this a while back, which might be helpful to you.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31746

Except for the final gas-resistant clear, lacquer is the way to go as far as I'm concerned because it dries so fast you can fix mistakes with fine sandpaper and have another go. Even if you do something as bad as sand through the clear and make a light spot in the color, you can add more color and then more clear to the spot and the next leveling blends it all together. It's impossible to make a mistake you can't fix.

use a 2k clear over the top, be sure to let the paint cure for a while before doing so though. the 2k clear is a 2 part spray can that you "activate" usually by pressing a button. basically it's automotive clear coat in a rattle can. stuff is pretty pricey though. check ebay if you cant find it local

Back