JaxShane650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my poor baby took a bad fall in the garage not too long ago :( and the result of that fall is a dented gas tank. Was doing some work on her with the center stand down and somehow I bumped the bike wrong and she came down on her right side. Oh well live and let learn.
Here are some pictures of the damage.
20161104_125802.jpg 20161104_125852.jpg 20161104_125651.jpg 20161104_125645.jpg 20161104_125641.jpg
So the tank when I got the bike was in pretty good condition. No rust on the inside, very clean, no dents, but the paint was chipping and scratched in some areas and I was planning on repainting it or getting it repainted at some point. Now it has all these things plus a dent and more paint scraped off. I was wondering what you guys think about this tank with all thing considered. Is it even fixable? Is it worth getting fixed(price vs fixing vs new one)? Should I just get a new tank and repaint that? Is this a dent I could get out myself? I just need some advice and opinions on this poor gas tank.
-JaxShane650(Jacob)

Attachments

• 20161104_125802.jpg
    20161104_125802.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 390
  • 20161104_125852.jpg
    20161104_125852.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 383
  • 20161104_125641.jpg
    20161104_125641.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 384
Hi Jacob,
yes, that's fixable.
Can you fix it? Depends.
Do you have oxy-acetylene gear to fix the dent, an air compressor to do the re-paint and the skill sets that go with them?
If "yes" go to it and we'll talk you through the specifics if that's needed.
If "no" you'll have to pay someone to fix the tank for you.
Most likely it'll be far less costly to shop around for a replacement tank instead.
If finding a replacement tank is what you decide to do I'd suggest looking for an XS650 Standard tank
(must include gas cap and gas taps because yours won't fit although the gas cap lock itself will swap between gas caps)
The Standard tank will drop right on a Special and it holds about a gallon more gas.

That's a really bad crease. You may want to have a look at threads with "cut tunnel out" for answers...
Hi 2Many,
if that was my tank I'd happily braze 1/4" screws onto that dent and pull it mostly back out with a slide-hammer but "cut tunnel out" will require welding the tunnel back in after the dent is fixed without the re-welded seam dripping gas and that's a whole level of welding skill more than I have.

...I'd happily braze 1/4" screws onto that dent and pull it mostly back out with a slide-hammer...

Hey, Fred. Same here. Followed by a schtickle of bondo.
But, there's bodyworkers out there that can do a metal-only, no-bondo repair, for the price of a small kingdom. And, folks that wander thru the vehicle lots with magnet in-hand, gleefully detecting and pointing out the bondo repairs. I guess it depends on the individual's value system...

Yep. Pull it and fill. Most of us here arent looking for a flip. I assume you are the same? If its a keeper, pull and fill.

I wasn't going to bring it up for fear of a good lashing, but, that's a common pull the dent to just below surface area, shape with fiberglass strand filler, finish with plastic filler (bondo is a bad word), primer and paint. Since it is a fuel tank, care should be taken to not cause thin spots or holes while grinding and sanding. JB Weld, fiberglass and plastic filler will not seal a fuel tank.

Scott

Hi Jacob,
yes, that's fixable.
Can you fix it? Depends.
Do you have oxy-acetylene gear to fix the dent, an air compressor to do the re-paint and the skill sets that go with them?
If "yes" go to it and we'll talk you through the specifics if that's needed.
If "no" you'll have to pay someone to fix the tank for you.
Most likely it'll be far less costly to shop around for a replacement tank instead.
If finding a replacement tank is what you decide to do I'd suggest looking for an XS650 Standard tank
(must include gas cap and gas taps because yours won't fit although the gas cap lock itself will swap between gas caps)
The Standard tank will drop right on a Special and it holds about a gallon more gas.
Thanks for the quick reply fredintoon.
After looking at the price vs quality of the xs650 tanks I can find on ebay, it looks like my tank is almost better off than most of the ones that are under $100. The inside of mine is in almost pristine condition and this one dent and the paint is what is fudging it up. I think with my skills I should be able to get access to an acetylene torch and I have an air compressor for paint. Is there any way other than an acetylene torch to pull the dent out or are there other methods? Because everything else I can do(bondo, sanding, painting, using a acetylene touch, etc) it's pulling the dent and working the dent out as much as possible that will be the hard part for me.
Jacob

I can't tell by your pictures but, how far to pull the dent, if it even has to be done, or if some edges should be hammered or spooned down is a judgement call by the person doing the repair.

Scott

U-Tube has numerous good videos describing the various methods (I've counted 6) of dent removal. There is one vid called "Sharp Deep Crease Motorcycle Gas Tank Dent " for a dent just like yours. Keep in mind that your XS650 tank was made with sheet metal that was a bit thicker than modern tanks, and thus will resist bending a bit more.

BTW, a decent paint job can be done with rattle cans. I did this one this spring with ordinary Dupli-color (acrylic lacquer) from my local Advance auto store, and "Spray Max" (urethane, $20) for the gas-resistant clear coat, from the local autobody supplier. As with all paint jobs, prep and primer (acid-etching first) is critical.
XS650.rebuild 004.JPG

U-Tube has numerous good videos describing the various methods (I've counted 6) of dent removal. There is one vid called "Sharp Deep Crease Motorcycle Gas Tank Dent " for a dent just like yours. - - -

Hi 'dude,
got a link to that "sharp deep crease motorcycle gas tank dent" video? I'd be interested to see their methodology.

Out of curiosity, would it be helpful for me to make an instruction video for this forum on how to pull dents with stud pulling etc, if it's already here or overdone I'll skip it, but if it would help contribute to the forum I will as I have one I've gotta do in the next few weeks.

Clymer, Haynes, Chilton, These usually had a devoted chapter in their car manuals for body and paint. The only difference on a fuel tank is pulling the dents, drilling a hole and pulling on a screw would have to be welded or soldered over on a fuel tank, hence the brazed rod/nail pulling. Still depends on how much filler you want to use, thickness, less is better and thick fiberglass strand filler is better than thick plastic filler.

Scott

Out of curiosity, would it be helpful for me to make an instruction video for this forum on how to pull dents with stud pulling etc, if it's already here or overdone I'll skip it, but if it would help contribute to the forum I will as I have one I've gotta do in the next few weeks.

U-Tube has numerous good videos, already.

Hey ECE, just my :twocents:. Anything you would be willing to photo document and archive here on the forum would be an asset. Up to you, would make the process longer but be invaluable I'm sure.

Hey ECE, just my :twocents:. Anything you would be willing to photo document and archive here on the forum would be an asset. Up to you, would make the process longer but be invaluable I'm sure.
Thank you, I'll do a photo journal when I do it, I'm a bodyman by trade and it's up my alley, guys on here have helped me out a ton and I'd love to be able to give back to this community

Yup, I get that and agree. Pictures and videos posted here have helped me more than any of the 3 manuals I have. So either done by you will be great. I've read a new twist on the old saying, "if a pictures worth a thousand words a videos worth 1.8 million". Not sure I agree with the numbers but get the gist. Doing either will add to your time spent but be a much appreciated contribution for those in the future tackling the same problem.

Back