Gas tank liner removal with acetone

CantGetRight

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Sorry to ask the noob question, but I haven't seen this addressed yet. Have a pretty nasty tank, was lined with kreemr pretty sloppily and rust. Before I add acetone and some screws, my question is if the acetone or screws will damage my petcocks.

Generally the petcocks are removed and rubber plugs inserted prior to de-kreeming.
If the acetone fails to remove the Kreem try MEK.

Protect the paint as well, if you're not going to repaint.

Hi CGR and welcome,
some have posted that a cocktail of acetone & MEK works better than straight acetone.
Whichever solvent mix you use, wear a solvent-specific breathing mask, that stuff is seriously bad for your lungs.
A fistful of screws can be difficult to remove, try a couple of feet of dog-leash chain instead.
Pull the petcocks & plate the holes before you make like a marracca player with the tank.
Whatever solid things you add to the solvent will beat up on the petcocks' filter towers.

Your still going to have to have to re-line the tank -- I suggest skipping the MEK or acetone and going directly to a Caswell tank sealer kit. The Caswell repairs failed liners. The only prep you really need is drywall screws either dry or with water to remove the loose stuff. The acetone or MEK makes a sticky mess unless you are willing to apply multiple times.
I've done several tanks with Caswell. I don't like drywall screws, they are a pain to get out, I use several feet of jack chain instead.

Because you mentioned rust in your original post. No sane person is going to line a tank that doesn't need it.

Back