Gas tanks & badges

fredintoon

Fred Hill, S'toon.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the tank that came with the 1984 Canadian model XS650 Heritage Special that I bought new.
note the red-gold dual trim line and the deep burgundy panel

and here's the Standard tank the bike is wearing these days.

showing it's new cast pewter tank badges with the lettering filled with ivory enamel and the
periphery blacked out to match the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 103
That's probably why I like to see the tuning forks on a Yamaha, never did like the YAMAHA in those block letters.
Scott

Hi Scott,
I also have a tank with the tuning fork badges on it:-

The orange tank is the Flying Pumpkin's Special tank. It may look huge but because of the XS11's twin top rail frame the tank's tunnel is also huge
so it'll only take 3.9 US Gallons. The XS11 Standard tank is one gallon bigger and that's important to an XS11 sidecar rig's fuel consumption.
The tuning fork badges are peel'n'stick moulded plastic aftermarkets from the local Yamaha store.
And that little black tank? It's a moped tank I bought for $5.00 at a swapmeet.
Just about perfect for engine running carb adjustments when the real gas tank would just be in the way.

The 1984 Special........................they must be quite rare.Yamaha just using up the stock of parts they had on hand.
I wonder how many 84s were sold???

Hi RG,
yeah, "let's drag a magnet through the parts rack and assemble whatever sticks to it"
But my burgundy panelled gas tank must have been painted up special as I've never seen another like it.
I have to confess that the burgundy was so dark that I didn't notice it wasn't black until I rolled it off my truck
in bright daylight after bringing it home. I guess you see what you expect to see.
It SO reminded me of a G9 Matchless and they didn't have different colour tank panels.
And I'd say "not very many"
According to the salesman my bike was "the last of three we brought in from Montreal" and I bought it NOS in 1986.

I am not a big fan of badges, especially the plastic ones under the headlights, that's just a good place for a tool bag with fringe. My GoldWing was de-emblemed and de-aftermarket chromed by the PO in very good taste, one of a kind. Remove badges, add pinstriping art. I never understood the need for the lettering on the back of a good reupholstered seat either. And those stickers reminding me to wear my helmet and how to adjust my chain, people pay money to replace those useless cheap looking stickers? Badges look better on tool boxes.

Scott

I am not a big fan of badges, especially the plastic ones under the headlights, that's just a good place for a tool bag with fringe. My GoldWing was de-emblemed and de-aftermarket chromed by the PO in very good taste, one of a kind. Remove badges, add pinstriping art. I never understood the need for the lettering on the back of a good reupholstered seat either. And those stickers reminding me to wear my helmet and how to adjust my chain, people pay money to replace those useless cheap looking stickers? Badges look better on tool boxes.

Scott
Hi Scott,
then this one is for you:-

To be accurate, it's on a toolbox cover.
You can see the actual product who's name you share tie-wrapped to the bike's rear frame just to the right of the sticker.
There's no better way of keeping Mr. Renold's late 19th century invention at it's somewhat messy best condition.
And a reason to always wear black footwear and carry a wipe-off rag.

Here's the tank that came with the 1984 Canadian model XS650 Heritage Special that I bought new.
note the red-gold dual trim line and the deep burgundy panel

and here's the Standard tank the bike is wearing these days.

showing it's new cast pewter tank badges with the lettering filled with ivory enamel and the
periphery blacked out to match the tank.

Fred,

I enjoyed the reflected image of you in the tank photo.

I am endlessly fascinated by the variations in the Canadian models of this bike and other motors. During the '80's I owned used Chevy Caprice Classic station wagons, two of which were manufactured in Canada. The differences were subtle, but interesting.

Count me in as another happy owner of an '84 burgundy tank, one picture of it coming home with me after buying it from a Kingston area member on my FJ-09 and second, reposing in my basement some others.

Attachments

• SAM_3880.JPG
    SAM_3880.JPG
    303.5 KB · Views: 134
  • SAM_4925.JPG
    SAM_4925.JPG
    307.1 KB · Views: 112
Count me in as another happy owner of an '84 burgundy tank, one picture of it coming home with me after buying it from a Kingston area member on my FJ-09 and second, reposing in my basement some others.

Really like that burgundy paint job and design. I've never seen it til now, and I'll keep an eye for one !

And do I spot a DT-1 Enduro tank from the '70's ?

Hi 'dude,
Gawd! The dreaded accidental selfie.
I was so involved in getting the photo all the way from my phone to the list that I didn't even notice it until it was too late.
It's as well that I was properly dressed, eh?

Yup, nothing worse than getting snapped while wearing nuthin' but some ragged-ass Fruit-of-the-Looms.

Back to gas tanks, folks
The orange DT tank was bought with hopes of using it on a 650 "scrambler" but the tunnel is too narrow to fit over the top tube. I would list it on Kijiji if I knew what year it was from.

Back to gas tanks, folks
The orange DT tank was bought with hopes of using it on a 650 "scrambler" but the tunnel is too narrow to fit over the top tube. I would list it on Kijiji if I knew what year it was from.

Hi lakeview,
list it anyway. Someone who needs it will KNOW which year it was from.

Lakeview - is that ANOTHER '76 red stripey tank you've got there?

Pete

Back