gasket set recomendations

Is this for one of your `80's? I have no particular preference, but mikesxs endorses the Athena. Recommend forum search "o-ring" and read-up on gggGary's posts on valve cover o-ring offer...

I've used several of the Athena sets and have no complaints. However, there is one minor glitch with them - the head gasket is thicker than the original. Apparently, this reduces the compression slightly and the power output. Honestly, I don't think it's anything most of us would even notice. There is another gasket set with a head gasket the same as the original, the Vesrah. Both cost about the same, one includes valve stem seals but the other doesn't, but the other has the valve cover o-rings which the 1st one doesn't - so they pretty much match up in cost once you buy those missing items.

Now, all that being said, the next time I have mine apart, I will be using the stock thickness Vesrah head gasket. Hey, what's not to like here? Possibly "free" power just from something as simple as gasket thickness? I'm going for it, lol. And besides, it's come to light recently that the best valve guide seals are these viton ones, and they really don't cost much more than the normal ones .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230769980005?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Last edited:
Outstanding information! Yes this is for one of my 80's bikes just need a few gaskets and wanted to buy a set, JIC. I have a starter engagement issue. BTW are shaft seals included in the gasket sets or order them separately from Yamaha thanks so much!

when I rebuilt my motor, I used the Athena set. My tappet cover o-ring were still good, the Athena set didn't have them. It had stem seals, prolly not vitons, I also ended up getting the 'no-sealant' base gasket because I ripped the Athena one. It did come with cam shaft seals.
got them all thru mikexs.

The thicker Athena head gasket not only lowers static CR very slightly, it also advances cam timing. It's junk. I strongly prefer the rest of Vesrah's gaskets too. They're made with heavier and more durable stock than that thin slick green stuff that Athena sells. For some reason some guys just seem to prefer eurotrash to Japanese OE quality. Who am I to argue?

Old thread revival....again. Just wanted an opinion on this gasket set. I purchased oil seal kit from this seller but was wondering about this KR gasket set or other set NE. I have used nothing but Athena and have heard great things on Vesrah. Any comments would be informative.

https://m.ebay.ca/itm/YAMAHA-XS-650-XS650-TX-XS1-XS2-complete-engine-gasket-set-447-3L1-1970-1984/253333590870?hash=item3afbdbd356:g:CmkAAOSw0hlZHsHC&_pgn=2&_nkw=xs+650+gasket+set&_from=R40&rt=nc

https://m.ebay.ca/itm/1975-1981-YAMAHA-XS650-XS-650-Special-XS1-XS2-Complete-Engine-Rebuild-Gasket-Set/183334370322?hash=item2aaf947c12:g:JL4AAOSw~e5ZXHpe&_pgn=2&_nkw=xs+650+gasket+set&_from=R40&rt=nc

I'm wondering about the NE gasket set also, are they any good or do they have the same problems as the Athena? I found this set on ebay.

Athena IS Oem for All Japanese brands in Europe + All Italian makes. So it shows your
ignorance to say that Athena is Junk. Vesrah gaskets are good but they to are sometimes junk in Part.
I bought a Vesrah set one time for a Honda CB750 and the valve seals melted. I confronted the owner of
Vesrah at trade show about this and they said that high temp materials were too expensive.
I asked what he thought the repair on this new overhaul cost ? ! and was he covering it.
Grizl'd what qualifies you to make these statements. It's bad enough to say what makes real Power
when you , I think have never seen a Dyno ?

Last edited:
Yikes !
We haven't had a good fist fight here since Retired Gentleman jumped ship...
Yeah... and I'd just as soon we stayed that way. There's plenty of places like Facebook and Twitter where you can anonymously be a jerk to your hearts content. I'd just as soon our little corner of the world stayed peaceful and friendly.

I have used the Athena gasket set with no problems. Main thing I don't like is that the gaskets are green. I like the stock look of black. As far as the head gasket being a little thicker that to me is not a problem. A little less CR with today's gas is not a bad thing. Also as the cam chain stretches the valve timing will retard negating the advance the thicker gasket causes.

Back