Gaskets with JBM boots?

XSrat

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I recently installed some new carb parts including new boots from JBM... I have been dealing with some other issues since then which I've discussed on other threads. But tonight I discovered an air leak between one of the boots and the engine, so my question is simple... Do people recommend using paper gaskets with the JBMs even though the metal flange is covered in rubber? Anyone else experienced this?
If so will he gaskets from mikes be sufficient? I'm ordering some other items from there and it would be nice I lump the order together.
Thanks!

I forgot to order gaskets when I ordered them...I just bought Yamabond semi sealant with no problems. But my carbs where already tuned so I didn't have to take off and on.

Well with the help of the carb guide on here I have learned a few tricks to getting them off without removing the boots, so that doesn't worry me... But I definitely need to get rid of that leak. JBM says u may need gaskets but possibly not haha I guess I am part of the percentage that does. I never thought off the yamabond tho...

The original stock gaskets are/were thick, to act as a heat insulator, protecting the boots from engine heat. That is why you should always use gaskets. The Yamabond is okay in a pinch.
The green MikesXS gaskets are good.

I use a small ring of sealer on the manifold side of these gaskets, not so much for sealing purposes, but so the gaskets come off with the manifolds any time you remove them. Just a skinny ring of sealer, maybe 1/8" wide at most, applied with a toothpick.

Back