Gauge bracket differences TX500 vs TX650

I just realized I've mistyped "gauge" in the title and it's impossible to edit.

Well this '73 is the bracket I had in mind.
$_1.JPG

Its new home would be on a '74 TX650A.

Will fit the XS650. The only difference is the Oil light on the TX500 is a Brake Lining light on the XS650.

They are hard to find in good condition, either the bracket is broken or the keys have damaged the face.

The rubbers that hold the cup in the bracket are as rare as rocking horse shit. I have played with making up some of my own.

One of the rings was broken on my bike when I got it. Speedo was just hanging in the wind. I found one off a TX and just swapped face plates. No problems.

My '74 TX650A is missing all rubber components and cracked through on the speedometer side. Alternate solution is to try my hand at aluminum brazing to "weld" the crack and fabricate my own retaining/dampening system.

650skull, what do you use to make your own dampening rubbers? I was thinking insulation foam.

650skull, what do you use to make your own dampening rubbers? I was thinking insulation foam.

I haven't finished it completely but here is where i am up to.

I went to the local rubber place that sells rubber for everything, car rubbers to mats. Bought some round rubber, (worked out the length for 4), cut it in half and glued it and set one under the bezel lip and the other below the bracket and above the cup. Used some lithium grease to help it slip into the metal bracket.

Hope this helps.

I've never fooled with later model XS650 instrument cups & dampers, but some of our Honda instruments were saddled into a formed closed-cell gasket that had the same feel as automotive door/trunk weatherstripping. It comes in many profiles. Maybe find a profile that's close, cut a length, form a loop, gorilla super-glue the ends into a hoop?
trunk_rubber.jpg

Back