G'day all!

Dunc

Backyard Vandal
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
G'day all! I've jumped in the deep end & bought a 1981 XS650 SH basket case + extra stuff. Apparently it had a top-end rattle & was pulled down to check it out. 750 kit was fitted a while ago by PO. Seems like the small ends of the rods are a bit un-happy with some excessive clearance. One of the 4 cranks in all the bits looks OK to use so that will go back into into it. It has a Boyer electronic ignition & in the bits is an RZ250 rotor & stator. There's a crate 3/4 full of brand new gasket kits, chrome dome nut kits, copper washer kits + more. I was looking for one to make a bit of a Cafe/Racer style but as I pull it down further it is too good to butcher, so I'm going to mostly restore it with reliability mods. Should be a ripper of a thing when it's finished. Duncan.
XS6501.jpg

G'day Duncan! Looks like you got a project on your hands. Welcome to the best place on the web for help and encouragement. Tell us a bit about yourself, like how much experience do you have of this type of thing? Keep us up to date and plenty pictures please, cheers, Raymond

EDIT - you went and washed it while I was typing that - looks bonzer now.

There are service instructions / inspection. on line for a crank if you not found them already.
I had a crank bearing that was pitted and " Catched " only in certain positions .That can be hard to find .
Mine a experienced mechanic found.
Rattle in the top end can be the Camshaft bearings And chain perhaps.
Both candidates for replacement. Every time the engine is opened. More or less.
Bike Looks Good
Back in the day I saw and heard of many that bought an old bike and tuned them for more power Like bigger cylinders .They
Did not get far .Sometimes ..
If it was me I would consider go back to stock should such parts be in there in the crate.

G'day Duncan! Looks like you got a project on your hands. Welcome to the best place on the web for help and encouragement. Tell us a bit about yourself, like how much experience do you have of this type of thing? Keep us up to date and plenty pictures please, cheers, Raymond

EDIT - you went and washed it while I was typing that - looks bonzer now.
Riding bikes since 8 y.o. Dirt bikes mostly until was old enough to get on the road. Probably more than 20 road bikes over the years. Motor mechanic by trade working for Michelin Motorsport Asia/Pacific running tyre supply/service at race meetings around Australia. Recently retired from 30 years of Roadrace Sidecar racing. Since Covid have built 4 bikes. 1990 TS185ER sort of Tracker style, 1981 TS250ER resto(sold), 1999 RMX250 total rebuild & 1964 BSA 650 Star tastefully customised. Learnt heaps doing the BSA with how different they were built compared to Japanese bikes.
Pictures of progress will be posted along the way. I may leave the paint as it is as it looks OK.

G'day all! I've jumped in the deep end & bought a 1981 XS650 SH basket case + extra stuff. Apparently it had a top-end rattle & was pulled down to check it out. 750 kit was fitted a while ago by PO. Seems like the small ends of the rods are a bit un-happy with some excessive clearance. One of the 4 cranks in all the bits looks OK to use so that will go back into into it. It has a Boyer electronic ignition & in the bits is an RZ250 rotor & stator. There's a crate 3/4 full of brand new gasket kits, chrome dome nut kits, copper washer kits + more. I was looking for one to make a bit of a Cafe/Racer style but as I pull it down further it is too good to butcher, so I'm going to mostly restore it with reliability mods. Should be a ripper of a thing when it's finished. Duncan.View attachment 204079

Hey Dunc, Welcome.

Aussie original bike. Looks like it with the twin disk brake set up. 81 was the last year Oz got the XS650 and there are a couple of things we got the US didn't, or did.

Oz models only had points ignition so if you are looking at diagrams to suit your bike the US 78SE diagram will be the closest to your bike. US got a factory TCI, (electronic ignition), and also a side-stand down cut out relay . The US 81 diagrams are totally different to your 81.

You also have the pass button/switch on the left bar switch. This wont show up on any diagrams.

I have an 81SG and swapped in a 78SE US second hand loom that is how i found the 78SE Diagram is a close match to the Oz bar switches, Also the 78SE has a headlight on/off switch, (dropped in he US from 79 on), where the Oz 80SG has the headlight on/of switch.

Not sure about your 81 retaining that option. Be good to know,

Hey Dunc, Welcome.

Aussie original bike. Looks like it with the twin disk brake set up. 81 was the last year Oz got the XS650 and there are a couple of things we got the US didn't, or did.

Oz models only had points ignition so if you are looking at diagrams to suit your bike the US 78SE diagram will be the closest to your bike. US got a factory TCI, (electronic ignition), and also a side-stand down cut out relay . The US 81 diagrams are totally different to your 81.

You also have the pass button/switch on the left bar switch. This wont show up on any diagrams.

I have an 81SG and swapped in a 78SE US second hand loom that is how i found the 78SE Diagram is a close match to the Oz bar switches, Also the 78SE has a headlight on/off switch, (dropped in he US from 79 on), where the Oz 80SG has the headlight on/of switch.

Not sure about your 81 retaining that option. Be good to know,
It's got a Boyer setup in one of the boxes of stuff & there's a Boyer control box in front of the coil mounts. I also got an RZ Stator/Alternator that I'll fit up as it goes back together. Front brake master is munted, seized solid, so it'll need replacing. It has a Nissin 11/16"& I'm thinking about one a bit smaller. On the other hand I want to try & keep it looking original. It does have the pass button but the Hi/Lo switch is broken off & I'll need to find one.

Might find the original M/C works well enough with the twin discs. Its the US models with the single disk brake that the guys have been swapping in a smaller M/C. Yamaha in all its wisdom didn't differentiate the M/C size between the twin disc and single disc models.

Yea i get you are going to swap the ignition and Charging system but if you tried to use an 81 wiring diagram the wires will be different colours, on your bike the Regulator and rectifier are separate components, wired separately. ...............The US 81 models wiring was for a combined SS Reg/rect and with that, the brushes are wired different to points brushes. Your bike is a B type charging system and the US models are an A type meaning power runs to both brushes on the US TCI ignition bikes and (your), points bike has power to one brush and the other brush is an earth/ground

I know you won't need brushes when you convert to a PMA but it helps to be aware of how you loom is set up

Last edited:
Back