Get me in the right direction...

manofsteele

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Alright here is what I got. I have a 79 xs that I just finished reassembling, just put on a Pamco ignition, carbs were rebuilt by Gentlemanjim here on the forums. I have pod filters, stock cut off head pipes, went 2 up on the mains and 1 up on the pilots.

I timed it, set the idle, set the air mixture screws 2.5 turns out, synced them. Runs great at idle and pops out the exhaust when revving it. The weird thing is that before the pamco, it did the same thing and just feeling the exhaust it seems the right side is hitting harder than the left. Again this was the opposite before the pamco. When I first got it started after the ignition upgrade it ran fantastic, I took it for a ride and on the way back it started to hesitate.

I'm just trying to get in the right area to look before I start breaking stuff down. Any ideas?

Thanks

I use the "dead cylinder" method to adjust the mixture screw. Lower the rpm to about 400 with the idle speed screw, then adjust the mixture screw for the highest, smoothest engine rpm.

Did you change your needle setting? 2 up on the mains in a '78-'79 carb set usually requires lowering (leaning) the needle a step.

Well I had the carbs done, I told him the set up I have and I thought that would have been done. I also looked in the bag of old parts and found a new set of #30 pilot jets which were supposed to be put in my carbs when they were done, but guess not. I guess now I have to break these down and see what was done, great.

I have a 79 and to me, it sounds like you got too much main jet. I raised my needles one notch, stock mains, 1-1/2 pipes with small baffles. Runs great.

What kind of filters do you have? And what notch are the needles set at stock? So I know what to look for when I take em down.

Alright here is what I got. I have a 79 xs that I just finished reassembling, just put on a Pamco ignition, carbs were rebuilt by Gentlemanjim here on the forums.

I would suggest you get hold of Gentlemanjim first to see what he done and give him a chance to help you.

Stock needle setting would be in the 3rd slot from the top. You can pop the carb tops off and remove the slide/diaphragms with the carbs still mounted. You'll need to pull the tank and maybe the breather hoses. You can drop the float bowls to change jets with the carbs still mounted as well. Just use a stubby screwdriver.

Just checked the needles and they were still at the stock settings. Gonna pull the bowls and put the stock jets back in and start over.

Well I checked the mains and they were changed to 140s but the pilots were still stock 27.5s. I put everything back to stock and it seems to run good but I'll have to take it for a ride for the real test.

Back